alexak_1
2 Bronze

SDRAM problems with Optiplex GX110

Hello,

I'm new here, my name is alex...

I have a question regarding my Dell OptiPlex GX110, 800MHz P3. I have recently wanted to do a RAM upgrade. I have tested 3 chips or ram with the following specifications:

256mb, PC133, CL3, SDRAM goes by brandname "Advance Modules"
256mb, PC133, SDRAM goes by brandname "SpecTek"
heres the problem, when i try to start the machine with any one of these installed, it just makes long beeps with a short interval in between, the kind it makes when there's no ram in the machine.

I have also tried it with another chip (256mb, PC100, SDRAM, i dont remember the brand name of this one...) and what this one did is come up as an 8mb chip in the bios

I am all out of ideas. The PC supports this type or memory as far as i understand, has anyone else had a problem like this with a Dell OptiPlex GX110??

Thanks,
alex®

Message Edited by alexak_1 on 11-24-2003 09:50 AM

0 Kudos
19 Replies
DELL-Jesse L
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: SDRAM problems with Optiplex GX110

alexak_1,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Here are the memory specs for this system.

Memory

Architecture 100-megahertz (MHz) synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM)
Dual in-line memory module (DIMM) sockets two (non-error checking and correction [ECC])
DIMM capacities 32-, 64-, 128-, and 256-megabyte (MB) SDRAM
System random-access memory (RAM) 32 to 512 MB
Basic input/output system (BIOS) address F0000h

0 Kudos
jwark
3 Argentum

It's the non ecc part that may be causing you problems. Especially if you're mixing ecc with non ecc. Technically the board should downgrade the speed to 100 for 133 but you don't want to mix the speeds and pc133 is not supported at all in the system.

0 Kudos
DHsieh
4 Tellurium

Alex, Dells are very fussy about RAM. You have to use high quality RAM specifically tested for that machine. Use the memory selector at www.crucial.com, www.kingston.comwww.pny.com, or from www.dell.com. However, the type of memory for the GX110 is now very expensive, since chip makers no longer make them anymore. Contact me at dhsieh@nc.rr.com if you want to get more info.
0 Kudos
Dr jean
2 Bronze

Hi,

I am Jean, from France and also new here. Alex, the less I could say is : "I hear you, brother !".

Having installed Win XP, I wanted to upgrade my computer. I used to run under 64+128 Mo PC100.

But installing two chips of 256 Mo PC 133 it just ran like you described : long bips shortly separated and only 8 MB on the bios ! I upgraded my bios to the A09 version but in vain.

I just wonder if the i810e chipset is compatible for any PC133 sdram chip.

Please let me know how you shot the trouble... should we sell our PC133 and buy PC100 instead ? feel free to e-mail me : jmqui @ wanadoo.fr

Bye :-)

0 Kudos
alexak_1
2 Bronze

Hello,

Well Dr. Jean, i thinks its as DHsieh says above you, Dells are simply very fussy about RAM, this far i have just been very lucky i guess as i haven't run into this problem. I too have upgraded bios to A09, and had no difference, however i will check out the sites DHsieh suggested as we have 10 OptiPlex GX110's in the office, not just one LOL, so i will have to find a solution of some sort to upgrade memory.

Anyways, i will reply in this thread if i get something that works and you please do the same.

Thanks to everyone,
alex®

0 Kudos
alexak_1
2 Bronze

Hey,

I checked out the sites, and the best price was on www.crucial.com, $70. Do you know a cheaper source?

Can anyone tell me for sure if the dell OptiPlex GX110's support PC133 RAM?
The only one that came up on the memory selectors were PC100, but this might be just coincidence...

Thanks,
alex®

0 Kudos
DHsieh
4 Tellurium

See the following posting of mine regarding PC133/PC100 256mB RAM that I tested and worked in the GX110: 

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=oplex_upgrade&message.id=8120

Some of them may be less than $70 a piece. email me at dhsieh@nc.rr.com for more info.

0 Kudos
Dr jean
2 Bronze

Answering the message of Jess : it means we should only use non-Ecc memory chips ?

--
Dr Jean

0 Kudos
alexak_1
2 Bronze

thanks, i will check it out ;-)
0 Kudos