Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2009 21:00

SUBJECT

January 22nd, 2009 16:00

I have the exact same issue. My 730 freezes randomly when I play WoW. I also have the snap-crackle-pop problem with my SB X-Fi, meaning the sound is staticy and scratchy. When my system freezes, my hard disk thrashes, and I have to hit the power button to get out of it.

From what I've read, it's a problem with your motherboard or SB X-Fi. Remove your SB X-Fi, if you have one, and switch to on-board sound. If that improves the situation, then the problem is with that X-Fi. If it doesn't it could be a bad motherboard as well. Request a motherboard and/or X-Fi replacement from Dell. Before you call, though, make sure you've already done the following:

Run Dell diagnostics (why wait to be asked?)

Install the latest Nvidia drivers for your video, motherboard, etc.

Load the latest bios for your 730 (1.0.5)

Re-load your Soundlblaster drivers (can't hurt...)

Reload your operating system

If you do all this, then you can make your call to Dell short and sweet. I don't like having Dell hold my hand through basic help-desk, so I only call them when I've diagnosed the problem myself.

482 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 18:00

Hey len.warrener,

I would agree with Blacksmithking, his suggestions are what I personally have done at the end of December.  I did the same thing he suggested, ran the Dell diagnostic on my own, no need to keep Tech Support on the phone with you for the time it takes. 

Your issue sounds very similar to my own experience.

My first error code that came up was 2000:0123, which means the RAM.  Tech Support wanted to replace the RAM, but I had already done that with Dominator 1800 8GB, so I knew it was a heat issure.  Added a fan (60cm Noctua velcroed to the case housing blowing across the RAM) ended the issue with 2000:0123.

Re-ran the test three times again, each time the error code was 3700:011A, cooling system and CPU failure, so I reported that to Tech Support.

They had a tech engineer out who replaced them both, free of charge (yeah).  When he came he was finished in thirty minutes (from walking in my front door until I was back online (WOW, he knew what he was doing and was efficient, courteous, and in general nice).  Tech Support wants to help you.

The only thing I would add to Blacksmithking's advice is to download the lastest drivers for you video card from the manufacturer as well.  Run Core Temp, Real Temp or PC Wizard and find out what your CPU is running at and keep a log.

Darrell WV

January 23rd, 2009 10:00

I removed the X-Fi from my machine, but that didn't help. I also couldn't enable the on-board audio, which is leading me to believe I really do have a bad mobo. Anyway, I coaxed a mobo replacement out of a tech. I'm currently waiting on the dispatch.

The tech also asked me to flash the bios of my 730 with 1.0.5, even though I was already runinng 1.0.5. I flashed last night, and since then I haven't had any trouble. It could be fixed, or my PC could just be behaving for the moment.

Well, I did have to force my GTX 280 GPU's fan % higher when it stuttered in Tomb Raider: Underworld, but I haven't had snap-crackle-pop from my sound card or mysterious computer lockups.

January 28th, 2009 10:00

Okay, I'll try Unresolved Issues.

I had the mobo in my 730 replaced, but that didn't help. I'm pretty much out of ideas, as is Dell. Dell tech support is frustratingly limited. Dell doesn't want to replace or refund the machine, so I may be stuck with a lemon.

In that event, this'll be my last Dell, for me and my company. And that's a shame, since I've been buying them for about 15 years.

482 Posts

Hello Blacksmithking,

If you have exhausted your options with Tech Support, then please go to Unresolved Issues, you will find them close to the bottom on the right side of the screen under your user account.  There will be a form to fill out and submit, keep copies of all your communications with Tech Support, even though Unresolved Issues will have access to those from their computer records.

Start the process now and see what they can do for you.  Tech Support does have their hands tied because they have to follow the scripted response which means that everyone gets the same care, exactly what is happening in all corps, I am not saying it is right or wrong, just the way buisness is today.

Best wishes for you and your 730,

Darrell WV

January 28th, 2009 13:00

SUBJEST

January 28th, 2009 15:00

A Dell tech just asked me to try reducing memory voltage to 1.650v (instead of Auto, which is supposedly default) through the BIOS. The tech mentioned that he had already resolved two customer calls in that manner, and he seemed to know exactly what problem I was experiencing.

I read on Google that a 730 might lock up (in the exact way ours are locking up) if it is clocked in an unacceptable manner. A quad-core with four memory chips (instead of two) is even more sensitive to it.

I haven't checked my system yet, but that at least sounds plausible. I'll keep you posted.

January 28th, 2009 17:00

Didn't help. Scratch that.

Just some random experiments: if I move vid or sound to other slots, the system locks up immediately, even before my theater lighting kicks in. I also can't save BIOS settings. It keeps resetting them on me (and yes, I'm hitting "save").

What'll it take to get this piece of junk replaced? Oy vey.

482 Posts

January 28th, 2009 20:00

Hey Blacksmithking,

regarding changing the voltage settings, I peronsally run PC Wizard 2008, down loaded per recommendations I found at both the my630i.com and RampantSpeculation.com web sites.  I then upgraded and bought it after trying the free version, it is pretty neat.

One of the things I found out by playing around was that if I had the temp monitor up from the program, and then minimized it, it would put my temps, all four cores and the surface temp of the CPU, the core temps of the GPU on the side bar of my desktop.  It shows up after you hit the minimize bar, shows up green, moveable by clicking on the dot in the box.  But it shows the CPU voltage right in the middle of the data graph, mine on "auto" in the BIOS mostly shows between 1.32, 1.34, and 1.38 V on the side bar, even though I am runing a QX9650 OC to 3.67.

PC Wizard 2008 will also show on the side bar the % usage of each processor core, which is also neat.

So, my machine never seems to run close to the voltage that was suggested to adjust in BIOS.

Hang in there and see what Unresolved Issues has to say.

Darrell WV

January 29th, 2009 07:00

I didn't think memory overvoltage would work either, but it was worth a shot.

I've used Nvidia's system monitor to watch core temps and GPU temp. Never had a problem with temp.

Dell tech offered to replace motherboard (again?...ok...) and memory. I convinced them to add processor and SB X-Fi to the shopping list. It's just shy of a complete replacement.

January 30th, 2009 09:00

The latest ForceWare reported the following:

A parity error was detected on \Device\RaidPort1

I'm not using any form of RAID, but I do have second SATA drive in addition to the raptor that shipped with the machine. After I disconnected the second drive, my machine became stable. No SCP or random lockups. Strange.

482 Posts

January 30th, 2009 10:00

Hey,

Did you ever go into the BIOS and make sure that the SATA for the second drive was "Enabled"? Even if you have it set to Riad 0 I think that you do have to go to the BIOS and enable, I may be wrong on that but I think that is required.

Darrell WV

482 Posts

Go to your service manual and review the RAID section.  When you have more than one hard drive, where each one is acting independantly, such as in gaming, you want RAID 0, when you are using the second hard drive as an internal back up for files such as making a "mirror image" then you want RAID 1.

Your manual had the method of setting up RAID 0 after the OS is installed, which is where you are at.  This allows the hard drives to communicate with each other and essentially if you have two WD raptors at 150 GB each, your system will now say you have a 300 GB hard drive in RAID 0.  If you do not have the SATA Raid enabled, then the hard drives will not recognize each other is what I get from reading the manual, not that I am any sort of RAID expert I just read and say "so that is what this is all about"

I know that from looking at the "disabled" your devices are not engaged to the MOBO and that would slow your system down I think.  I will continue to read on this.  If you discover something, please let me know.

Darrell WV

I'm not using any kind of RAID, if that's what you're asking. I just have two standalone drives.

Under SATA Device Control:

Raid Enable: Enabled

SATA 1 Raid: Disabled

SATA 2 Raid: Disabled

SATA 6 Raid: Disabled

No Events found!