Sheraqui
1 Nickel

Sata power cable Inspiron 3650

Jump to solution

I want to add a new hard drive to my new Inspiron 3650 . I have the sata cable but it looks like I need to buy a power cable. What do I need to buy and where do I get it from ? Thanks

0 Kudos
23 Replies
7 Plutonium

RE: Sata power cable Inspiron 3650

Jump to solution

Other way around. The power supply should have a spare SATA power cable available, but you'd need to buy a SATA data cable to connect the new HDD to the motherboard. Any PC shop should have them for a few dollars. You may want one with a right-angle connector to make it easier to connect to the hard drive, especially if space is limited.

NOTE: According to the specs, the 3650 supports two 2.5-inch hard disk drives or one 3.5-inch hard drive. So you may or not be able to install a second hard drive, depending on the size of the existing drive, unless you're prepared to replace the existing drive if it's 3.5-inch.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Sheraqui
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi : Sorry, but there is no SPARE sata power cable. The cable leaves the mother board and goes directly to the hard drive with one power outlet ( ist time ive seen this on a dell). There is another sata power socket on the motherboard, just need to find the correct power lead. I have a SATA data cable. The power cable onto the installed drive has the part number DP/OKC81G. Any further help you could offer?

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

I guess you have to contact Dell Spare Parts to order the cable. It must have a SATA power connector on the end going to the HDD but I don't know what kind of connector is on the end that goes to the motherboard.

Dell Spare Parts
1-800-357-3355
Mon–Fri 7 a.m.–9 p.m. Central Time
Sat & Sun 8 a.m.–6 p.m. Central Time
Have Service Tag handy

If you're not in the USA, you'll have to contact Dell Tech Support for your country or region.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
simonwhf
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hello

I got the same problem as I bought the 3650 in HK, I telephone the support/sales dept wanting to buy that cable with part no 0KC81G, but they reply that they won't supply for just one cable! I had tried to find that cable over the computer shops in HK but no one had such a newly designed product. So what can I do?

0 Kudos
Sheraqui
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
What i did was buy a sata power splitter and it worked a treat. Hope that helps
0 Kudos
Highlighted
simonwhf
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks Sheraqui I will try

0 Kudos
MillART
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Just buy a 6pin PCI-E to female sata power connector.  Or you can use a 6-pin modular power supply connector to sata power.   One is cheaper and one looks nicer.

0 Kudos
clairedavi
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Would you be able to tell us or send us a picture of which splitter you used to solve your problem that will really be awesome. Trying to do the same but install an SSD as a boot drive.

0 Kudos
simonwhf
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

see attached