Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 9th, 2017 20:00

Save a T7600 from the graveyard! ;)

Hi ladies&gents!

I have a precision T7600 system that I recovered at the office (it was a marketing unit no one was using anymore). Point being its service tag is non-existant (pre-prod unit) so impossible to have it fixed and I haven't been able to find any helpfoul resource internally (Dell).

Problem: about a year ago I was playing with the Intel AMT parameters and the system stopped booting (no POST, nothing on screen). I can tell the system is still alive because;

- the internal led display correctly show error codes if I remove the CPU or the RAM

- the ethernet goes up

but still no way to interact with the system; the error code shown on the internal display is 06 and I haven't found a single document describing what that is.

I already tried removing coin-cell battery, jumpering the CMOS and the RTCRST jumpers but nothing (AMT parameters are stored in an internal NVRAM as far as I know so...)
Any idea? that's a nice system which can still do a lot: it would be a pity to have to throw it away :(

PS: PSU, memory and CPU are fine: tested on another system
thanks!

Alessandro

• 

16.7K Posts

January 12th, 2017 06:00

alessandro_tiberti_b,

There are Four (4) single color LEDs are incorporated on the front control panel to serve as a diagnostic aid for troubleshooting systems exhibiting No Post/ No Video symptoms. The LEDs do NOT report runtime errors.

Each LED has two possible states of OFF or ON. The most significant bit is labeled with the number 1, and the other three are labeled 2, 3, and 4, as you go down or across the LED stack. The normal operating condition after POST is for all four LEDs to be ON and then turn off as the BIOS hands control over to the Operating System.

There are 3 type of color for Power LED: Green, Blue or White depending on the system model
The are 2 type of color for LED Pattern: Green or Ember depending on the system model

Power Button Light
The diagnostic LED's give much more information about the system state but the legacy power LED states are also supported in the Dell Precision Workstation T7600. The power LED states are shown in following table.

Power LED state Description
Off - Picture of the diagnostic Power LED in the Off state. Power is off, LED is blank.
Blinking Amber - Picture of the diagnostic Power LED in the Blinking Amber state. Initial state of LED at power up.
Indicates system has power, but the POWER_GOOD signal is not yet active.
If the Hard Drive LED is off, it is probable that the power supply needs to be replaced.
If the Hard Drive LED on, it is probable that an onboard regulator or VRM has failed. Look at the diagnostic LEDs for further information.
Solid Amber - Picture of the diagnostic Power LED in the Solid Amber state. Second state of the LED at power up. Indicates the POWER_GOOD signal is active and it is probable that the power supply is fine. Look at the diagnostic LEDs for further information.
Blinking White - Picture of the diagnostic Power LED in the Blinking Green state. System is in a low power state, either S1 or S3. Look at the diagnostic LEDs to determine which state the system is in.
Solid White - Picture of the diagnostic Power LED in the Solid Green state. System is in S0 state, the normal power state of a functioning machine.
The BIOS will turn the LED to this state to indicate it has started fetching opcodes.

You can click the link below to download the online user manual for troubleshooting and resolving issues with the computer.

http://dell.to/2jb3xwD

11 Posts

January 13th, 2017 02:00

Hi Jesse and thanks for your answer!

ouch, looks like I didn't post the reply I wrote yesterday or it got discarded because of the big attachment. The four orange leds with numbers on the front panel don't give sign of any error. What I was referring in my message is the intrnel alphanumeric diagnostic display soldered on the T5600's motherboard for which I didn't find any documentation even through a friend who's a TAM at tech support :(

Oh, and the power led is normally in fixed white.

Kind regards,

Alessandro

No Events found!