Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2012 02:00

SigmaTel, XP and no Stereo Mix

Hi,

I have an older Dell desktop and have run into this no stereo mix problem. I have spent a lot of time searching for a way to fix this issue, but all information is old and all links to patches etc are outdated and broken. The computer I have is a ...

Dell DM051

Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)

SigmaTel Audio

Windows XP

Not sure exactly what information is needed. If there is a fix for this issue that anyone knows of I would be really grateful. Not being able to record ingame sound with my videos is a real problem for me.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 18th, 2012 04:00

Hi Shezrie,

What is the model number? Is this a Dimension 5100? The model number is usually shown on the front panel near the power switch.

5 Posts

November 18th, 2012 05:00

Thanks for answering, the model is Dimension 5150.

5 Posts

November 18th, 2012 06:00

Whoops accidently answered in that thread.

Yes, I tried that but unfortunately I get an error that the hardware is not supported when trying to install.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 18th, 2012 06:00

Did you already try the fix suggested in this post?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 18th, 2012 13:00

Ok, that's a possibility since you have an OEM motherboard.

So let's think about this. I assume this was working before and now is not. So one way to think about this is, what has changed since it was working. For example, maybe you updated the sound adapter driver, but the old driver actually provides functionality that new driver doesn't. Can you think about what might have changed since the stereo mix was working?

5 Posts

November 20th, 2012 14:00

Unfortunately this is a long time problem with DELL. They (and I believe other manufacturers as well) deactivated the Stereo Mix. Something to do with Microsoft and copyright issues. So my computer has never had Stereo Mix. DELL released a patch to fix this at some point, but the link is broken and the patch didn't work for every computer anyway, as far as I know. I don't think the patch even exists anymore.

Some people found workarounds, but so far I haven't found anything that will reactivate the stereo mix. I have never needed it before so didn't know that this was an issue with Sigmatel and DELL until a few days ago, when I wanted to make some ingame videos.

I had hoped that a final solution had been found and that was why there is so little information after 2008 about this issue, but more likely everyone just upgraded to newer computers. *sigh*

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 21st, 2012 05:00

Sorry to hear about that. One of our forum members who was familiar with this model and active in the audio boards is no longer around or I would have asked for his help.

No Events found!