Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

September 12th, 2002 23:00

Slow startup of Windows XP with cable modem

I recently switched my DSL service provider (which came with a new DSL modem) and have now noticed that it takes extremely long for Windows to load at startup. On startup, the desktop appears quickly; however, the loading of program icons in the right corner of taskbar freezes (Norton Antivirus icon, etc) while the data light on the modem blinks. It appears the computer is trying to communicate with the modem. 20 seconds later, the computer will finish loading. Without the cable modem plugged into my network card, Windows XP will start fine. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

11.9K Posts

September 13th, 2002 00:00

Sure. NAV is checking for updates.

Turn off the NAV auto update feature.

Reboot.

If it's not a problem now, it's NAV. Be patient and wait 30 seconds...

Rick

SOLUTIONS

To select the correct Crucial memory for your computer, try the Crucial Memory Configurator

Get your order status - 1-800-433-9014

Clean your screen - turn off your PC. Use a damp soft cloth. Wipe screen carefully, then buff dry with another soft cloth. Then wipe your keyboard and pointer area, avoiding the pointer tip.

Don't upgrade your Norton Antivirus! Buy it new or SystemWorks or Internet Security (each of which contain Antivirus), and take advantage of their FREE after rebate promos that run all the time - just keep your eyes open. When the new Quicken comes out Antivirus will be free, also when TurboTax comes out. Lots of chances to not spend money to upgrade!

Why can't I track my UPS package? Per Dell-Chandler - The packages are picked up from Dell by UPSLG, which is owned by UPS. UPSLG doesn't scan the packages. They deliver the packages to UPS' regional hubs where they then will receive the initial scan. During the time from when they are picked up from Dell to the time they are scanned at the UPS regional hub, they are not able to be tracked. As soon as they reach the UPS regional hub they will be scanned in to UPS' system, which, depending on where you live, could take as long as 3 days..

APX Tracking Click here ,then click on USPS tracking code at the top. Call APX at (866) 744-7979.

In Production means that Dell expects to the parts in house in time to make the ship date that they have given you. It does NOT mean that all the parts are in the factory and that your machine is almost ready.

Testing on a laptop means that your machine is enjoying cocktails on the airplane coming over from Malaysia... It will ship soon.

Networking difficulties with XP? XP to non-XP machines?
Read this

CONFIGURATIONS

Dell I8100 512MB RAM, 40GB IBM GNX HD, 20GB HD in modular bay, Windows XP, Office XP Professional Special Edition.

Dell XPS B600R 384MB RAM, 30GB Quantum Fireball Plus and 40GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus HD, Windows XP, Office XP Professional Special Edition.

Dell XPS D333 256MB RAM, 80GB Maxtor D740X with Maxtor 133 card and 8.5GB HD, Windows XP, Office XP Standard.

100 mbps network with Comcast High Speed cable modem. 2 HP Laserjet 4L printers, 2 HP Inkjet printers, scanner.

4 Posts

September 13th, 2002 00:00

Hi Rick, thanks for the response, but it is not NAV. Even with NAV disabled, the system does the same thing.

11.9K Posts

September 13th, 2002 01:00

NAV autoprotect is NOT NAV's update capability. Open NAV and turn off the AutoUpdate in the options.

Then reboot and see.

Rick

SOLUTIONS

To select the correct Crucial memory for your computer, try the Crucial Memory Configurator

Get your order status - 1-800-433-9014

Clean your screen - turn off your PC. Use a damp soft cloth. Wipe screen carefully, then buff dry with another soft cloth. Then wipe your keyboard and pointer area, avoiding the pointer tip.

Don't upgrade your Norton Antivirus! Buy it new or SystemWorks or Internet Security (each of which contain Antivirus), and take advantage of their FREE after rebate promos that run all the time - just keep your eyes open. When the new Quicken comes out Antivirus will be free, also when TurboTax comes out. Lots of chances to not spend money to upgrade!

Why can't I track my UPS package? Per Dell-Chandler - The packages are picked up from Dell by UPSLG, which is owned by UPS. UPSLG doesn't scan the packages. They deliver the packages to UPS' regional hubs where they then will receive the initial scan. During the time from when they are picked up from Dell to the time they are scanned at the UPS regional hub, they are not able to be tracked. As soon as they reach the UPS regional hub they will be scanned in to UPS' system, which, depending on where you live, could take as long as 3 days..

APX Tracking Click here ,then click on USPS tracking code at the top. Call APX at (866) 744-7979.

In Production means that Dell expects to the parts in house in time to make the ship date that they have given you. It does NOT mean that all the parts are in the factory and that your machine is almost ready.

Testing on a laptop means that your machine is enjoying cocktails on the airplane coming over from Malaysia... It will ship soon.

Networking difficulties with XP? XP to non-XP machines?
Read this

CONFIGURATIONS

Dell I8100 512MB RAM, 40GB IBM GNX HD, 20GB HD in modular bay, Windows XP, Office XP Professional Special Edition.

Dell XPS B600R 384MB RAM, 30GB Quantum Fireball Plus and 40GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus HD, Windows XP, Office XP Professional Special Edition.

Dell XPS D333 256MB RAM, 80GB Maxtor D740X with Maxtor 133 card and 8.5GB HD, Windows XP, Office XP Standard.

100 mbps network with Comcast High Speed cable modem. 2 HP Laserjet 4L printers, 2 HP Inkjet printers, scanner.

4 Posts

September 13th, 2002 03:00

Rick, I disabled AutoUpdate in Norton Antivirus and also for Windows XP; however, the system still freezes temporarily while loading the programs that show up in the right corner of the taskbar. There is about a minute delay before the programs start loading again and the networking icon shows up. During this delay, I can load other programs, but I cannot load Internet Explorer or Outlook Express. If I do, only the hour glass icon shows up until the networking icon finally pops up. It seems like the computer is talking to the modem during this time.

4 Posts

Hello, thanks for the reply. However, when I disconnect the modem, the system starts fine. The problem only occurs when the modem is connected. It seems like the system is having problems initializing the modem.

When I was using AT&T's DSL service, I didn't have this problem.

2.8K Posts

cwaki,
I think you'll find this will fix you up.

73 Posts

September 13th, 2002 13:00

don't know if this will do anything, but i would hard code your network interface card to a certain speed. auto detection will often cause a machine to 'slow down' because it is trying to negotiate the speed of the NIC with the modem/router/server. try to get into your network cards properties and set this to 10MB/Full Duplex to be safe. even though your network card is capable of 100MB, you will never truly see this kind of speed unless you are doing peer to peer file transfers and so forth.

1.9K Posts

September 13th, 2002 17:00

I think you're exactly right; the system is very slow in initializing the modem and the connection and is causing the hang as it loads from startup, slowing/freezing the loading of other items in startup/systray/msconfig.

If it were mine, I'd head straight for the modem manufacturer's website and see if there is a newer modem driver than the one provided by your ISP software disc.

This was the case with my Alcatel USB/DSL modem in WinMe/2K/XP. In the case of the Alcatel, it caused the system to blue screen when either shutdown or restarts were attempt via menu.

2.8K Posts

September 13th, 2002 22:00

cwaki,
Did you actually perform the procedure detailed in the link I provided? I would point out that when you disconnect your cable modem you're severing your WAN connection, thus your computer can't search for a DHCP server, request an IP address, etc. Since all of this network configuration is what causes the slow boot time it makes sense that your computer boots up at 'normal speed' when you disconnect the modem. I understand you may not have had this problem when you had DSL service but quite frankly that means nothing from a technical standpoint. I've had cable internet access for a little over a year and a half. When my account was first activated one of the many problems I had was the same one you're having now. Setting a static IP address was the only way I was able to resolve the slow boot time, which is the reason I'm recommending this little tweak to you.

The moral of the story is this: don't knock it until you've tried it.

No Events found!