Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

November 23rd, 2009 11:00

Sound Blaster HDCP

In my XPS 720 I have the Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer.  I'm trying to use CyberLink's DirecTV2PC application with the computer.  I've updated to the lastest drivers, or at least I think I have.  When I run the app, it tells me that the audio driver is not HDCP compliant and I should either update my driver or switch to analog.  Well I have three questions.

1. Is the XtremeGamer HDCP compliant, if so, how do I get the functionality?  If not,
  2. Is there a way to switch to analog mode as the application suggests? If not,
  3. Is there a Creative card or another comparable card that is HDCP compliant?

Thanks,

Dan

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 13:00

I found THIS but it is referring to Video and not audio.  "HDCP stands for High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection, a copy protection scheme to eliminate the possibility of intercepting digital data midstream between the source to the display".

As this suggests a "digital" input, what are you using as a digital interface for the PC for the video and audio?  e.g. are you using an HDMI source and if so what are you using for the HDMI port on the PC? 

HERE is the Wikipedia definition of HDCP.

Doing a google search for HDCP compliant sound cards, does not list anything.

96 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 17:00

This is the exact message from the application: "The video's audio is protected and requires an audio driver with HDCP support; changing the audio output to analog might allow audio playback." This application allows me to view recorded content on my DirecTV HD DVR on my PC. Now my PC is an XPS 720 with an 8800 GTX connected to a Dell UltraSharp 20" screen via DVI.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 24th, 2009 03:00

The video's integrated audio from the DVR is encoded for the HDCP.  There are no HDCP audio cards or audio software that I'm aware, from doing the google searches, so it looks like you will have to use the Analog audio output of the DVR to the "line in" on the PC to get the audio. 

The only other possibility is if DirectTV had some type of PC software application for HDCP.   

96 Posts

November 24th, 2009 04:00

From the research that I've done, the solution is to disable the SPDIF output of the sound card.  I did that and it works beautifully.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 24th, 2009 05:00

That's strange that an "output" would affect an "input".  But thanks for the info.

No Events found!