Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2009 11:00

Sound stops, restarts at shutdown.

I have a Dimension 2400 with a sound problem. I have searched for other reports of this problem and only seen one or two mentions of similar problems with no resolution.  When the PC boots up I have sound. It works fine for a period of time; minutes to hours; then it stops. Dead slience until I reboot. As the PC is shutting down, I get the Windows shut-down Te-da-da-da. After reboot it works again for a time, etc.

OS is WinXP Pro. SP3, SoundMAX Integrated Audio, Driver: Analog Devices, 11/18/03/, v. 5.12.1.3910.  760 MB Ram. A lot of programs and services running in the background but nothing specifically audio related. No 3rd party audio mixers, etc. Symantec Antivirus. I keep everything pretty well up-to-date.

It seems to me like it's not a hardware problem but maybe some program is interfering with the sound, but I really don't have a clue.

Suggestions?

13 Posts

January 10th, 2009 04:00

Thanks for the suggstion. I did this and the audio worked for the rest of the evening but when I checked this morning it had stopped working. I found that there is a newer driver (1/27/2005 v. 5.12.1.5246) which I downloaded and installed this morning. I'll report back, one way or the other, on how it works.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 8th, 2009 14:00

Uninstall the sound in the Device Manager, then restart the PC and Windows will "find new hardware" and reinstall the sound.  This fixes a lot of flakey problems and MAY take care of yours. 

The Device Manager can be accessed by holding the Windows Key down and then press the Pause/Break Key.  RIGHT click on the SoundMax and then LEFT click on Uninstall (do not uninstall the drive, just the device).

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 10th, 2009 06:00

One other thing to try.  Reinstall the Intel chipset drivers.  One of the chipset functions is to define what is on or attached to the motherboard and on a new installation, the chipset drivers MUST be installed before installing the sound drivers.  It is probably a good idea to reinstall the chipset drivers then reinstall the sound drivers. 

HERE is the Dell chipset drivers for the 2400.

Unfortunately, if the sound driver and chipset driver installs do not help you are looking at a complete reinstall.  A complete reinstall is reformat the hard drive then (1) Install Windows (2) Install chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers such as sound video, etc.

13 Posts

January 11th, 2009 04:00

About 24 hours later and the sound is still working. So, I'll say the new audio driver fixed and call this a resolved issue. Thanks!

1 Message

January 13th, 2009 10:00

hi i have studio 1500...i have the same issue related to sound. my sound driver works perfectly fine until i dont login in any of the chat messengers like yahoo or gtalk. as soon as i login in them the sound goes off and i have to restart my machine

any solutions?

No Events found!