Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 6th, 2007 08:00

Speedstep Setting in Bios

After upgrading from the 710 Mobo to 720 I notice there is an extra setting in the Bios called speedstep. The factory default is off, however is there anything to be gained from switching it on. I have the standard Quad Core processor as fitted to the XPS 710 H2C Thanks

1.2K Posts

September 6th, 2007 11:00

Running a processor at high clock speeds allows for better performance. However, when the same processor is run at a lower frequency, it generates less heat and consumes less power. In many cases, the core voltage can also be reduced, further reducing power consumption and heat generation. This can conserve battery power in notebooks, extend processor life, and reduce noise generated by variable-speed fans. By using SpeedStep, users can select the balance of power conservation and performance that best suits them, or even change the clock speed dynamically as the processor burden changes.

For example, a Pentium M processor marketed at 1.5 GHz can run at speeds between 600 MHz and 1.5 GHz, in 300 MHz increments using SpeedStep III. Older processors, using older versions of the SpeedStep technology, have fewer increments, such as the Pentium 4-M. For example, a 1.7 GHz Pentium 4M can run at 1.6 GHz, at 1.2 GHz, and at 786 MHz.

SpeedStep technology is partly responsible for the reduced power consumption of Intel’s Pentium M processor, part of the Centrino brand.

75 Posts

September 6th, 2007 12:00

Thanks for the advice, I am running the processor O/Clocked to 3.2GHz, so probably best to leave it in the default off position. Much obliged for the insight, had never come across this one before. regards

1.2K Posts

Yes,

Its realyy your call, power conservation versus full power at all times. I would not turn this is on if you are going to do any overclocking though.

75 Posts

Thanks for the detailed reply, this should be OK with the Quad Core Processer than? regards

1.3K Posts

September 6th, 2007 13:00

Another thing to consider is that the A03 BIOS which was just recently released also supports the 'Enhanced Halt State' or the C1E option in the BIOS. Where SpeedStep allows steppings of clock speeds and voltages, C1E is just a one shot deal. Factory default is turned on and my Q6600 (without load) gets lowerd to 1600MHz (6x266).

Generally, it is recommended that overclockers avoid anything that is dynamically changing the clock speed of the CPU as it can cause stability issues. So, if you're overclocking, be sure to disable both C1E and Speedstep.

75 Posts

September 6th, 2007 15:00

Thanks for the additional info. I am running the A03 Bios, so I may investigate this regards

2.6K Posts

September 6th, 2007 17:00

I OC my QX6700 to 3.2GHz and I do have speedstep enables since the new Core 2 Duo line of eXtreme CPU's (and maybe all of them) support the function.
It does make the system cooler when I am just browsing and stuff and it ramps up fast enough in games that I do not notice the difference in performance.

I think it is a win win setting. Others have different opinions.
No Events found!