Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2009 11:00

Still no Internet audio

I have Windows Vista.

I am unable to get sound on the Internet (music videos etc), but do receive other sounds (iTunes, for instance). Problem worsened by my relative lack of knowledge of computers.

Help very much appreciated.

Thanks!

2.6K Posts

July 29th, 2009 13:00

As Fireberd already mentioned, Instead of starting new messages, please just reply to your old ones so whomever is trying to help can keep track of what's going on instead of starting over and over again.     In case you can't find them, just click on your name and it will give you a list of all your previous messages, then you can go straight to the one you want to reply to.

So far you've gotten a  response to each of your 2 previous posts - one from me last month, and one from Fireberd a couple days ago.     Use "reply" at the bottom of either of our posts (though Fireberd's more of an expert than I am),  and be clear on whether the advice worked or not.    So far we still don't know if you actually tried the system restore yet, for example, or what computer model you have, or what's recently changed on your machine.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19281833.aspx

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19286606.aspx

July 29th, 2009 14:00

1. With the help of a friend who knows a little more than I, we went through system restore until we reached a seemingly neverending list of updates. Are we supposed to arbitrarily pick a date when the Internet sound might have gone off? Will we lose all the updates that occurred after that date?

2. I do not know the model of my Dell, nor do I know how to find out.

2.6K Posts

July 29th, 2009 15:00

May be worth checking something more basic first.    Right click your volume icon, select "mixer", and check that all the volume sliders in there are up and nothing is muted.   Most online video uses the same sound format as Windows Sounds.

Beyond that,  at least we know it happened before June 27th, when you posted here the first time.  

If you don't know exactly when, then you'll have to estimate - it's a glitch somewhere in the software, but there is no way to know exactly what caused it.     System Restore exists precisely so you can undo things like program installations, system changes, and Windows Updates that cause problems.   You will NOT lose any of your personal data like music, documents, or pictures, but yes, you will have to do the updates again (and whatever programs you might have installed since then).

And even then there's no guarantee it'll work, but honestly it's the easiest thing to try.

Your PC model would be something like an Inspiron 530, Dimension 9100, etc.  Usually it's printed on the top front of the computer tower.   Or, double-click the My Computer icon, then look at System Properties - it should be listed there.

No Events found!