Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2004 19:00

Strange system documentation

Hello,

I have a Dell dimension 4500. In the section "Mouse problems" in the system documentation one can read the following:

"If you connected the mouse after turning on the computer, remove the power cable, and then reconnect the mouse cable — If the mouse is connected after the power is turned on, the mouse appears to be nonfunctional. To make the mouse function properly:

1. While your computer is on, remove the power cable from the back of the computer.
2. Connect the mouse to the computer.
3. Reconnect the power cable.
4. Turn on your computer.

Pressing the power button does not clear the computer's settings and does not restore mouse functionality."

What does this means? It sounds too me very inappropriate and harmful to remove the power cable when the computer is on. Is this a misprint or is it really meant that one should do int that way? And what is meant by the last sentence. Which computer settings are not cleared and is there any difference if you remove the power cable instead of pressing the power button?

Message Edited by danh35 on 12-20-2004 03:44 PM

3.4K Posts

November 9th, 2008 19:00

Hello,

I have a Dell dimension 4500. In the section "Mouse problems" in the system documentation one can read the following:

1. While your computer is on, remove the power cable from the back of the computer.
2. Connect the mouse to the computer.
3. Reconnect the power cable.
4. Turn on your computer.

Hello,

It's just a mistake. Replace the word "power" with the word "mouse".

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Helping Dell Customers here since 1997
Darrell's computer help and information web site
My Dell systems ...
Dimension XPS D266 - Bought long ago before this forum existed
Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Upgraded and still working perfectly
Dimension 9150 - Just arrived from Dell dfsdirectsales.com Refurbished!
Pent D 3.2GHz, 2GB dual-channel 533 DDR2
Windows XP pro SP3
Add your system information or other signature to your forum posts using my instructions HERE

No Events found!