Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2011 18:00

Studio Hybrid won't pass POST...

So here's the deal, I've built a number of computers before and am no stranger to that kinda thing. I always thought the Studio Hybrid was a cool design, but I never bought one (mostly because I'm a Mac guy), and they're not powerful enough for gaming. But I like to give myself projects, and I wanted to build a Hybrid myself, so I did. I got all new components from mostly eBay, put all the pieces together, but it doesn't work. I wasn't too surprised at first, and started checking all the components by process of elimination, and nada... I still can't get it to pass POST. This is what it's doing... It turns on, gets to the Dell splash screen, I hear a "boop beep beep beep" and the progress bar for the BIOS just gets stuck halfway, and there are video artifacts on the screen. From what I could find about the beep codes, it sounded like there was a power problem or a main board problem, and the artifacting made me think on-board video... but I ordered a new power supply to eliminate that possibility, and it didn't change anything, so then I thought it was the main board. I got  a new replacement board, but no go, it did exactly the same thing. So I checked every other removable component down to the cmos battery (i know, but it couldn't hurt..) I pulled everything that I could hook up to it externally and internally, removed the daughtercard with the USB, used different memory, pulled the wireless card, the blu-ray card, the hard drive, the blu-ray drive, everything, and it still refused to boot, and gave the same symptoms. Then it hit me... the one thing I didn't change was the CPU. I ordered a new CPU (core 2 duo 2.1GHz, same as last chip) and I just got it today feeling a little bit confident, but NADA... it just did the exact same thing!!! I don't know what else I could possibly change on this machine, obviously there is something that is preventing it from POSTing, but now I have no idea what it is... I'm thinking that the only other issue might be that the CPU isn't supported by the BIOS, but I picked the CPU based on a list of CPUs that were available with the Studio Hybrid when it was on sale. In fact I think the 2.1GHz Core2Duo was the base Core2Duo that was available, so it's not like I'm trying to push a high-end chip on this thing... Anyone have any ideas??? Please I am obsessed now with having to make this thing work!!

No Responses!
No Events found!