Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2008 06:00

Studio Slim 540S PSU Fan options - very noisy!

Hi, apologies if this has been posted before - the forum is rather difficult to search (at least the results are a nightmare to navigate).

any help anyone?) >

My Studio Slim 540S seems to run both the CPU and the case fans at full speed at all times. The result is a noisy PC. Anyone know if this is normal behaviour?

In any case, I would like to understand my options - can I (a) do something to enable the fan speed to very depending on temperature, or (b) replace either/both fans with quieter units?

I understand that controlling fan speed may be dependent on motherboard, does anyone know if this motherboard is capable?

I understand that one or both fans might not have standard connectors and/or standard shape/size. Can anyone comment or provide further information please?

thanks, Paul

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 31st, 2008 11:00

frumpy

Hope everything works out, would appreciate a feedback on the results.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 5th, 2009 12:00

frumpy

Paul.

That is really great news and thank you for posting the info,.

I'm going to bookmark this thread for future use of other members with the same problem.

Bev.

19 Posts

January 14th, 2009 10:00

PSU is a SeaSonic TFX. I got mine from Germany : http://www.sh-edv.eu

Yes, CPU and case fan both want to be swapped too, they're very noisy once you have dispensed with the PSU. I used Noctura NF-R8 from CCL :
https://www.cclonline.com

Work fine, I've been monitoring heat using speedfan and there's no difference.

Next job is to upgrade the video card (let me know if you're interested to hear about that) and hard disk.

5 Posts

January 19th, 2009 14:00

Thanks for doing the research on this. And just to verify, the link you posted is compatible and working well?  I'll also be checking back on the graphics card issue as well.

19 Posts

January 19th, 2009 14:00

Yes, the PSU and the fan are both working fine.

Funnily enough I did just install the graphics card. Seems to be fine, but I guess I better let it run for a few days to be sure.

It's a MSI 9400GT 512MB DDR2 Low Profile VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card.

cheers

Paul

5 Posts

January 19th, 2009 15:00

Great...thanks for quick response...looks like I have some orders to place....I'll let ya know how it goes for me...hopefully the install was not too bad.

1 Message

January 20th, 2009 04:00

Hey Frumpy... sorry for the late response and thanks for posting info!! Will order away and let you guys know how I get on. Is the CPU and case fan the same size? Sorry, a bit new to the whole fan thing!

Thanks guys!

Darrin

19 Posts

January 20th, 2009 05:00

Good luck with that.

The stock CPU and case fans aren't the same size. However, a fan of the same size as the CPU fan (80x80x25mm) can be used to replace the case fan. To do so you will need to remove the entire case fan assembly (i.e. the fan itself and the shroud that it is mounted in). Note that the new fan will then be fairly loose inside the case. Make sure the arrow on the new case fan is pointing inwards.

Also if you're intending to replace the CPU fan, you can use a 3 pin plug in the CPU fan 4 pin header - it will run at 100% all the time, but I still found it to be quieter than the stock fan. And make sure the arrow on the new CPU fan is pointing outwards.

I must point out that you shouldn't consider my opinion gospel as I am also new to fans etc, but it works for me.

January 25th, 2009 17:00

Ladies and Gents,

I have two Studio Slim 540’s and had hoped that my first one was a fluke for being so noisy and that my second one would confirm a one of problem, as the second one was for a music studio where quite is required.

Well I was wrong and both units are extremely noisy.  I’m glad I came across this string as it did identify the PSU being so noisy.

Well I have reduced the noise in my second unit by 75 to 80%, and will do the same with my office unit shortly – thought I would share my findings.

I removed and disassembled the PSU and replaced the fan with a StarTech Ball Bearing equivalent, however I also used vibration dampening washers between the Fan, PSU housing and Safety Shroud.  Please note that while the 2 wire plug is standard, the polarity had to be switched.

I also replaced the Case Fan with a EverCool Ball Bearing equivalent and again used the dampener between the plastic holding bracket and fan.

These two things alone greatly reduced the sound.  I was to replace the CPU with a Zalman cooler, however it was a smidge too big.  I believe their CNPS8000T model will work and also supports the 4 pin control.  I will post my findings should I make the change, however I am much more happier now with the sound, and the updates were less than $30 CAN.  If someone has a recommended CPU Fan update that would fit in place of Dell’s I would like to try that first....

Cheers, Terry

19 Posts

January 26th, 2009 02:00

Hi Terry

Glad you were able to quieten down your PC. For what it's worth, I found that removing the card reader had some benefit in terms of air flow and therefore, theretically, fan speed (my fans are at 100% constantly so it makes no difference with my setup)

I imagine any 80x25x25 case fan would be a snap-in replacement. I used a Noctua NF-R8.

cheers

Paul

5 Posts

January 27th, 2009 01:00

Frumpy, would this one work?...only seasonics i found were in foreign languages... 

I-Win TFX Power Supply IW-P300DF1-0 300W for DF BL Cases

Manufacturer: Inwin
Product Series DF Product Model IP-P300DF1-0 Product Name DF IP-P300DF1-0 Power Supply Dimensions WxDxH 6.9 in x 3.35 in x 2.56 in
WxDxH 175 x 85 x 65 mm Power Description: Input Voltage 115V AC to 230V AC Current 0.3A @ -12V DC - Output Current
2A to 2.5A @ 5V DC - Standby - Output Current
7A @ 115V AC - Input Current
4A @ 230V AC - Input Current
20A @ 3.3V DC - Output Current
12A @ 5V DC - Output Current
16A @ 12V DC - V1 - Output Current
16A to 18A @ 12V DC - V2 - Output Current Frequency 50 Hz
60 Hz Output Power 300 W Maximum

19 Posts

January 27th, 2009 01:00

I got mine here : http://www.sh-edv.eu/index.php?cPath=21_79

I don't know about choosing PSU's except size, type & number of connections, orientation (are fan & chassis mounts in the right place), and rating. Presumably you also want to make sure it's quiet before you buy!

Good luck.

5 Posts

February 10th, 2009 06:00

Went with the Seasonic TFX.. newegg started carrying them, plus I probably didn't need to take any chances.  It does make a difference...now just have to save up for the video card. Thanks again.

19 Posts

That's good to hear.

My system is still working ok. I have a 2nd hard disk installed, a TV PCI card and a nvidia graphics card (PCI-e x16) and the PSU seems to cope fine with all that.

What was the price of the SS-300TFX and where might I ask?  On my two systems I had replaced the case fan and the power supply fan.  On one unit where the chassis is fairly open the PS fan I used seems to keep the temperature down, but on my other I went back to my original fan because I found the back PS vent becoming to hot to touch.  The original is also hot, but not to the same degree.  This particular unit sits under a shelf (designed for desktop) and not 100% enclosed, but must still restrict the air flow greeater than expected.

On your new PS, how hot do you find it?

No Events found!