Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2009 04:00

Studio XPS 0033 Error and a Host of Other Problems..

I have a Studio XPS 435MT. It was the single worst decision I ever made, buying this here computer.

Since day 1 i've had one issue after another, some i've solved, others not so much.

Audio is no good, because of pretty consistent crackling noises that even hurt my ears at times with headphones on (probably either hardware or drivers). I replied to a post about it here

Even my video is causing problems. For quite a while now I've been getting an error message on the bottom right of my screen on every boot with the output 0033 (First thing I see).

I asked dell about it in a livechat once upon a long time ago. They told me it's nothing but a "Monitor Initialization code".
I thought, how very curious, I have never experienced this phenomena.
I took their advice and ignored it, but when problems kept stacking up (freezeups, BSOD's, random shutdowns) I upgraded to win 7, expecting at least some of those problems to go away. Oh how wrong i was..
Shortly afterwards I lost over a terabyte of my valuable data by simply "moving" files.

I'm now revisiting that error code. This time, Id appreciate some real answers.

I know from other threads that Dell computers have seen many of these 0033 errors.
A lot of people get the problem with HDMI, but I'm using DVI.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19272741.aspx    At that link you will find many more people with the same error.
Leading me to believe that its either a broadly defined error code, video card problems etcetera, or a dell bios issue.

What worries me even more is that the beep of a properly completed POST (Power-On Self Test for you layman) is nonexistent.
No beep and an error code. Last I checked error codes existed to inform the user of a possible underlying issue.
Not to let us know something as trivial as "If you can see this code, your monitor still works ".

So please, tell me, what I'm supposed to do here? My first thought is motherboard problems.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2009 06:00

Hi, splugedelik:

Since I have not seen this error, can you describe it in more detail? Does it appear as an error message or what? Have you already performed a complete run through with the Dell diagnostics to rule out any hardware issues?

Dell systems do not provide a "successful POST" beep.

December 23rd, 2009 16:00

Hi Osprey, I appreciate the response.

Basically.. As soon as I turn the computer on the first thing I see is the numbers 0033 on the bottom right of the black screen.

After 1-2 seconds the Dell Logo appears and the computer boots up.

I did perform the Dell diagnostics (extended) several times and it did not return any errors.

However, at the end of the extended tests it warns me that the recovery partition is unavailable.

I'm not sure if this is even relevant, but I removed the partition when I was dualbooting with Linux.

I was unaware of that, thanks for clarifying.

December 31st, 2009 14:00

Bump...

20 Posts

July 25th, 2010 09:00

Well, my 435MT is doing the 0033 in the lower right corner.  No other post screens, and does not continue on from there at all.  I was using it, did some Windows Updates, and on reboot, hit the 0033.  Using the HDMI to the Yamaha Receiver and the DVI to my Soyo LCD.  Bought in late '09, with the Win7 upgrade, been using it 24/7 for the past 4 months without a problem.  Anyone else find a solution?  I am at least under warranty.

20 Posts

July 25th, 2010 09:00

Update - Unplugging the HDMI allows the post to complete and boot.  The power state of the receiver did not matter.

No Events found!