Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2009 08:00

Studio XPS 435MT & 435T Overclocking potential - BIOS upgrade?

Judging by Dell's current take on the overclocking subject, I imagine that it's true that the new i7 Studio XPS system cannot be overclocked even though other manufacturers using the 920 i7 solution report great results overclocking the i7.  Indeed, even CNET reviews such a system making the comparison between the Studio XPS pretty stark, given the similar specs elsewhere.  I believe they overclocked the Velocity Micro i7 920 system to 3.0GHz with no issues reported.

Is there a chance that Dell will be offering a BIOS upgrade that will allow the ability to safely overclock?  Or BIOS update to allow for 1333Mhz RAM to work as stated in the 435MT manual?

On a second issue, I've seen reports that the X58 chipset/board actually will allow for a maximum RAM of near 24GB, double the Dell's reported maximum of 12.  Will the Dell eventually allow for 24GB?  On the other hand, I've seen max 12 reports, too.  Just wondering where it will really fall for the ultimate upgrade.  EDIT:  Appears the 435T board will allow for 24GB (MT stands for Mini Tower and T stands for Tower).

Thanks for any insight here.

- kh

22 Posts

April 15th, 2009 20:00

I am running Window 7 Build 7000, 64bit. I did a clean install, not even bothering to boot into Dell's installation of Windows Vista Home premium.

It is installed in a Dell 435MT i7 system. It came with 4GB of Memory. I have added a 6GB OZC memory. It now has the 6GB of OZC memory in bank #1, and 3GB of the original memory in bank #2. It runs fine, but WEI (Windows 7 Experience Index) does not run because of the memory configuration. Other than WEI not working, it seems to be fine. Does WEI run on your XPS 435T i7 system with no problems?

Differences:

I assume you have a different motherboard and a different BIOS.

You are run WIndows build 7077 64 bit, I am running Windows build 7000.

I assume that your memory is matched in both banks. Mine is not.

Yes, my memory is matched. I  have 6x2GB sticks which should be running at 1333mhz but we all know thats not gonna happen. In any case, Windows Experience Index runs fine on my system. As for Windows 7, Build 7077, which is the most recent build and may be the release candidate, you can find it freely distributed on most any torrent site. Also, if you google it you will most certainly find a link for it. You already have Build 7000, so if you want, you could just upgrade to 7077 vs a clean install. It's your choice.

7 Posts

April 30th, 2009 11:00

Okay, so let me understand the memory upgrade issues.  Nobody here can get their 1333mhz (3x2gb) memory upgrade to run at 1333 mhz on their Dell XPS Studio 435MT i7 system even with the Bios updates????  Is that accurate?

Well can somebody answer this question for me.  Will any type of memory upgrade improve what Dell gave me - 1067mhz (6x1gb) ??   I was thinking about upgrading to 1066mhz (3x2gb) high performance memory.

Jay

7 Posts

April 30th, 2009 11:00

Okay, so let me understand the memory upgrade issues. Nobody here can get their 1333mhz (3x2gb) memory upgrade to run at 1333 mhz on their Dell XPS Studio 435MT i7 system even with the Bios updates???? Is that accurate?

Well can somebody answer this question for me. Will any type of memory upgrade improve what Dell gave me - 1067mhz (6x1gb) ?? I was thinking about upgrading to 1066mhz (3x2gb) high performance memory.

Jay

7 Posts

April 30th, 2009 13:00

Thanks kh, that's exactly what I thought, a 9gb or 12gb RAM upgrade is overkill and still does nothing towards speed.  I will be staying put with what I got and hoping a BIOS update will come through.

212 Posts

April 30th, 2009 13:00

Will any type of memory upgrade improve what Dell gave me - 1067mhz (6x1gb) ?? I was thinking about upgrading to 1066mhz (3x2gb) high performance memory.

On the memory, you would be wasting your money to get any kind of 1066Mhz upgrade as your stock memory that came with your Dell is actually not that bad as it has good timings and relatively low latency.  Replacing it with 6GB via 3x2GB is no advantage.

In addition, I would only buy 1333Mhz if wanting more RAM, just in case the BIOS update DID ever come through.  In my opinion, unless you need more RAM for some reason, I would stay put.

- kh

7 Posts

May 1st, 2009 07:00

Okay, now I'm really confused.  I called Dell last night and they had me upgrade my BIOS to 1.1.0  (latest update).    When I ran SIW (systems info for windows) it showed my memory clocking at 1067mhz and 1.5v before the BIOS update.  Now after the BIOS update SIW is tell me I'm clocking at 1333mhz and 1.5v.   I restarted my machine and checked the BIOS in setup and it's telling me I'm at 1333 mhz.  I still lack the tools in setup to check this out thoroughly and change it.  Has anybody downloaded the latest BIOS update and checked the results?

212 Posts

May 1st, 2009 08:00

Go to my signature and click on either of the links.  Download the performance monitoring links, especially CPU-Z and run it.

You will see the main tab with info along with the memory tabs.  Report back what is stated in the CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs.

7 Posts

May 1st, 2009 08:00

I did and will do when I get home tonight.  I'll let you know what it says. 

Thanks.

212 Posts

May 1st, 2009 10:00

I called Dell last night and they had me upgrade my BIOS to 1.1.0  (latest update).    When I ran SIW (systems info for windows) it showed my memory clocking at 1067mhz and 1.5v before the BIOS update.  Now after the BIOS update SIW is tell me I'm clocking at 1333mhz and 1.5v.   I restarted my machine and checked the BIOS in setup and it's telling me I'm at 1333 mhz. 

Interesting.   A lot will depend on if they actually gave you 1333Mhz ram with this later build.  You should be able to really identify what your ram is doing as well as what ram you actually have via CPU-Z.    If for some reason, Dell actually stocked your late build 435MT with 1333Mz sticks, and both programs are reporting this, there is a chance this latest update might have actually done something interesting, indeed.

I was not going to download the latest BIOS 1.1.0, but your report got me curious.  I just now updated my own and received the exact same memory report as I had before via CPU-Z.  I'm running Samsung 1066Mhz (533Mhz) sticks at 7-7-7-20.   So will be interested in seeing your results.

- kh

ps - Can you please tell me what DELL told you regarding this?  Did they imply that this BIOS update would increase timings to run 1333Mhz RAM at speed?

35 Posts

May 1st, 2009 11:00

I will try it tonight. So dell was changed the BIOS, and it can overclock automatically when it sees the 1333MHz memory?

7 Posts

When I get home tonight I'll l will definitely run again using CPU-Z and post results.   I used SIW last night and was surprised.

When talking to Dell Technical Support (last night) they got into my machine and did a thorough check.  I think he thought I was nuts when I mentioned I wanted to get 1333mhz out of my memory,  it was like he knew that it was possible.   He gave me a link to download the BIOS and I downloaded it.   I ran a check using SIW and it told me I download BIOS 1.1.0.  (Great!)  I then checked the memory (with SIW) and was blown away.  It told me I was clocking at 1333mhz.   I have an open ticket with them and will refer to that ticket when I tell them the results.  I will ask then in detail what's different.  I didn't have time to check last night.

Todays update:

I just called Technical Support and she referred me to the latest BIOS and the fixes and enhancement area (see below).   The latest BIOS now has 'Support for new Intel CPU', which is the 1333mhz issue.    She said the Dell BIOS (1.1.0) now supports 1333mhz.   While (tech support) looking at my systems specs of the machine I bought 30 days ago they (Dell) stocked it with DDR3 1333mhz  memory.   She logged into my home machine and the reading are accurate.  WOW !  I will have give Dell a thumbs up on this one.  I now have 2 tickets on this issue 1 open and 1 closed and I'll still run CPU-Z, but it looks like a done deal.  She said they updated to take advantage of 1333mhz option of the Intel chip.

BIOS Release Notes
===================================================================
===================================================================

Systems: Dell Studio XPS 435MT
Version: 1.1.0
Release Date: 04/22/2009

Fixes/Enhancements:
1.Update Pre-boot System Assessment to revision 4522.
2.Support new Intel CPUs.

212 Posts

I just called Technical Support and she referred me to the latest BIOS and the fixes and enhancement area (see below).   The latest BIOS now has 'Support for new Intel CPU', which is the 1333mhz issue.    She said the Dell BIOS (1.1.0) now supports 1333mhz.   While (tech support) looking at my systems specs of the machine I bought 30 days ago they (Dell) stocked it with DDR3 1333mhz  memory.   She logged into my home machine and the reading are accurate.

I was starting to get the feeling that your machine might be stocked with 1333Mhz memory due to the late order and these last posts.  I actually posted a link to the 1.1.0 BIOS update via the 435 Owners thread days ago, but the fixes/enhancements report was so nebulous, there was no telling WHAT this actually did.  It surely didn't directly report that the 1333Mhz memory quagmire was corrected.

If this is the case, then this is a major update and recommended for anyone that has upgraded to 1333Mhz RAM or has 1333Mhz ram already installed.  I'm still waiting to see your latest report via CPU-Z but it's looking a lot more promising than it did even moments ago.  I had heard Dell was working on this update but I had my doubts as stated in my Bio. 

- kh

212 Posts

May 1st, 2009 12:00

So dell was changed the BIOS, and it can overclock automatically when it sees the 1333MHz memory?

Well, this is the point; it's not 100% certain this is the case but it's looking an awful lot like it just might be.  We'll certainly know more when both of you guys report back.   I dont have 1333Mhz ram for sure, and have only be holding out, even turning my last order back to Newegg because of the lack of this ability.   They were running some great deals on the OCZ ram I've linked in the past, actually making it down to the low $70s a while back, this for 6GB of (3x2GB) of DDR3 1333Mhz.  Not quite as low these days, unfortunately, but still way better than many options.

One thing to remember for those with 1066Mhz ram that want to add this 6GB 1333Mhz kit for a total of 9GB, ALL YOUR RAM will run at the slowest speed and timings within your DIMMS.

Looking forward to clear results and reports this eve.

212 Posts

May 2nd, 2009 08:00

I just called Technical Support and she referred me to the latest BIOS and the fixes and enhancement area (see below).   The latest BIOS now has 'Support for new Intel CPU', which is the 1333mhz issue.    She said the Dell BIOS (1.1.0) now supports 1333mhz.

Whelp, some bad news on this one as the new BIOS does not seem to have done the trick.   I have to say, dealing with Dell tech support is always a tossup as one out of 10 really know the details or ins and outs of these machines.   I've found this to be true so often, that I rarely use them for anything, finding it easier to look up and solve the issues on my own.  In this instance, they appear to have been misinformed again.

I talked to Jaymane this morn and it after running the latest build of CPU-Z, it seems his 1333Mhz ram is operating at 1066Mhz, even after the latest 1.1.0 Bios update.

See the screen shots below of the CPU-Z tabs.   Notice the 532Mhz spec, which corresponds to 1066Mhz.  While the ram has good timings, the speed is back where we started.

35 Posts

May 2nd, 2009 17:00

I also upgraded to 1.1.0, nothing changed. In the BIOS 1066MHz, cpuz also 1066MHz.

No Events found!