Highlighted
lowrysam
1 Copper

Re: Studio XPS 435MT and the Dell ATI Radeon 4850

Along the same lines:
I'm posting for a friend who's having Dell login issues.
Anyway, he has a 435MT like others in this thread and needs some clarification before committing to a new video card. He's already been through 3 power supplies and a (presumably) defective 4870. Before he drops more coin on this issue, he'd like to know if anyone else has had success installing a Radeon 5770 video card. He's already purchased an Antec Truepower 23652 TP-650 power supply, if he gets a Radeon 5770, will it all work for sure? Has anyone here done this successfully? Or should he just stick with the stock power supply - if so, what's the highest end card he can install?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
John R Tay
1 Copper

I have a Studio XPS 435MT that I added an Antec Truepower 23652 TP-650 power supply & am using an Asus EAH 5850 video card. I was able to use the 6 6-pin plugs supplied with the PSU (no additional cables) so he should be able to use a 5770 card with no problem (the 5850 uses more power than the 5770)..

0 Kudos
Jack Gilvey
1 Copper

I've got a 435MT with stock PS and recently installed a 5770 (XFX HD-577A-ZNDC) and it's been fine. Performance isn't a big leap but the card and the whole case (even the CPU as a result) run much cooler than with the stock 4850 which was my reason for the switch.  Everything I'd read showed lower power consumption than the 4850 so I thought it worth a shot.

0 Kudos
dom99
1 Nickel

Hi John Tay

I currently have my 435mt open and am in the middle of fitting my antec tp-750.

I have never fitted a new psu before but thought I would give it a go, but the pci-e cable coming from the stock psu in the 435mt seems to be clamped in place on the side of the FlexDock. How did you get it out without cutting the cable?

Also the 8-pin connector cable to the motherboard seems to need to go very close to the heatsink, how did u stop it from touching?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jack Gilvey
1 Copper

This'll seem like a silly question, but what do you guys do about the fan I see on the top of these power supplies?

0 Kudos
John R Tay
1 Copper

I have never fitted a new psu before but thought I would give it a go, but the pci-e cable coming from the stock psu in the 435mt seems to be clamped in place on the side of the FlexDock. How did you get it out without cutting the cable?

Just bend the clamp enough to remove the cable.

Also the 8-pin connector cable to the motherboard seems to need to go very close to the heatsink, how did u stop it from touching?

I tied mine to the grille on the PSU after everything was plugged in.

My 650 (yours might be a tad bigger) PSU was a tight fit but it did go in. You may need to bend the 2 clamps that hold the cable bunches down to get the new PSU in. I just pushed mine down a little.

0 Kudos
John R Tay
1 Copper

Turn the PSU over. The fan goes on the bottom, facing the heat sink.

0 Kudos
dom99
1 Nickel

Hi again

One more thing, there looks to be a lot of cabling for such a small case, how did u keep good airflow?

Thanks

0 Kudos
dom99
1 Nickel

Ok just realised it is a clamp but extremely hard to bend, partly because of the HDD in the way

ah well i shall keep trying

0 Kudos
John R Tay
1 Copper

One more thing, there looks to be a lot of cabling for such a small case, how did u keep good airflow?

After I finished running my cables, I used plastic ties to tightly group them together. I stuffed the unused cables into an empty drive slot. I may cut them off in the future but they stay for now (warranty purposes).

The clamp/clip thing seems to be fixed on both sides so I dont see how to bend it.

They're open on one end (mine were anyway).

0 Kudos