Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2016 23:00

Studio XPS 8100 to Windows 10, Easy Peezy

I just did a clean install of Windows 10 on my ancient but still fabulous Studio XPS 8100. It was no trouble at all and everything works great. Dell doesn't support Windows 10 on this computer, of course, but so what? Dell doesn't support Windows 8 on the 8100 either, and I had no problem installing that. 'Not supported' only means that you have to do the research and testing on your own.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless you know how to make a backup of your hard drive - an image. That way if something goes wrong you can easily go back in time to the way things were.

I don't really like Windows 10 the way it is now, but I wanted to get my computer activated with Windows 10 before the July 28 (2016) deadline for free activation. After Windows 10 was installed and activated, I installed all required drivers, made a few basic configuration changes and then ran Windows Update.

Once all this was done I made an image (backup) of my Windows 10 installation, then I restored an image of my Windows 8.1 installation. Now I'm back at Windows 8.1 like nothing happened and I have a fully installed and activated image of Windows 10 that I can restore any time I'm ready for Windows 10.

3 Posts

June 3rd, 2017 23:00

Well it's nearly one year later. I'm a Windows Insider. I preview, evaluate, and test, Windows 10 pre releases. "Betas." Guess what I test on? An old Optiplex 390. First Gen i3-2100 3.1GHZ 8GB RAM. I have no problems whatsoever with this machine and Windows 10. The only things it can't do are; Unable to broadcast or use the DVR in Game Mode and it can't project either way or cast from Edge. No Miracast. Since the Optiplex was never intended for that it doesn't matter. I don't know if I just got lucky on my purchase about 9 months ago of two for $110.00 or what. But this is still, after all these years, a rock solid little basic workstation. Windows 10 rocks too. Lots of cool stuff coming in the Fall Creators Update.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 4th, 2017 01:00

I installed Windows 10 on an OptiPlex GX620 and a Dimension 3100. They work well, although they are a little slow.

No Events found!