Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2011 08:00

Studio XPS Hard Drive Installation

I am going to install two new drives into my new Studio XPS 9100 and noticed that the bays have a slot for the two screws on the side where the motherboard is - I assume you just leave those two screws a little lose when inserting the hard drive - Is this the correct way to install them or am I missing something?

Thanks

14 Posts

October 4th, 2011 11:00

Thanks - I actually figured it out on my own and got them in without any problems.

1.5K Posts

October 4th, 2011 09:00

Follow the instructions in your manual HERE.   

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

6.4K Posts

If you examine the area of the hard drive cage toward the front panel of the computer you should find four or six screws having heads that are higher than you would find on a normal fastener.  These shoulder head screws fit on the side of the drive that will be closest to the motherboard and fit into a slot on that side of the drive cage.  Only the side you can see gets fastener type screws to hold the drive in place.

EDIT:  Make sure you are retrieving the "extra" screws that are not holding anything down!  Forgot to mention that these are extras that are placed in the chassis for the purpose of mounting new drives.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Those instructions are not clear - according to the instructions it says to use the two screws one the front but it doesn't mention the screws on the side nearest the motherboard.

gipper11

Only the two screws, as shown in the Service Manual are required to hold the drive firmly in place, the other side of the drive bay is not accessable, as the side panel cannot be removed.

Bev.

14 Posts

Those instructions are not clear - according to the instructions it says to use the two screws one the front but it doesn't mention the screws on the side nearest the motherboard.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 4th, 2011 12:00

Thanks - I actually figured it out on my own and got them in without any problems.

gipper11

Congratulations.  :emotion-49:

Bev.
No Events found!