just did new fans and new hard drive

next up cpu

where can i get an AM3 CPU!!!! only ones i see are used on ebay

thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 4th, 2015 15:00

Every used CPU I have bought on eBay has functioned without issue. Just be wary of bent pins.

As for my XPS 7100 chassis, it now sports an aftermarket mainboard and Core i7 CPU.

7 Posts

October 5th, 2015 05:00

thanks for the reply

I know the xps 7100 is ancient now

essentially it started to run very slow and freeze a lot. heat sink on cpu and video cards were clogged, once I cleaned them out the freezing stopped. and I upgraded the cpu fan which is great it runs cool now. im afraid the heat has damaged both units (possibly)

I replaced the hard drive Saturday (5 years old), major improvement. still not running the way it should, laggy and not as fast as it was 3 years ago

that's why im looking into the CPU replacement. I don't mind buying a used unit, but how do I know how long it was used? if it was used for 4 years then im buying a cpu near the end of its life? recommend a seller for an AM3 cpu?

after the cpu I will attack the memory and video card

by the time im done I could probably build a fresh build from scratch with an i7, lol

thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 5th, 2015 22:00

An SSD boot drive and extra memory will boost performance more than a new CPU. If the freezing stopped after cleaning the heatsinks, I wouldn't worry.

I haven't had a problem with a used CPU, apart from one with a bent pin I had to straighten. The only problem CPU I have come across was an Athlon 4000+ purchased brand-new, and presumably defective from the factory.

7 Posts

October 6th, 2015 05:00

thank you

I believe ill need to purchase a new SATA cable as I only saw one in there in order to add a second drive. and then clone windows over to the SSD

I was having frequent freezes every 20 minutes, took it apart, no air could get to CPU, there was a blanket of dust on end of heat sink. after replacing fan with upgrade it was better but still froze occasionally. opened it back up, same situation on video card. cleaned video card heat sink and freezing stopped. didn't know a GPU overheat could freeze a system. now temperatures are in normal range. my fear is that the length of time the cpu overheated could have caused damage and that's why performance dropped?

maybe ill try memory upgrade first to see if performance increases

I know the life on a cpu is roughly 5 years that's why I was looking into it

I have a huge microcenter by my house ill go get some RAM this weekend

thanks

7 Posts

October 9th, 2015 13:00

im reading mixed thoughts

for my 7100 can I buy 1600 ram or must it be 1333?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 9th, 2015 21:00

1600 should work. And CPUs are usable for long past five years.

7 Posts

October 12th, 2015 17:00

my PSU is running the 12V at 11V and the 3.3V at 2V according to HWinfo

is that considered failing? im reading a failing PSU can cause a slower machine. but it seems any failing hardware can cause slow downs. computer runs fine but when i load a website and videos it lags and goes slower like its trying to catch up.....i know a dumb question but hard to find information on that

i ordered new ram so we will see if thats why the system is laggy

i did a GPU test with Furmark and it came back OK

if the RAM doesnt put it back where it should be the next thing ill replace is the PSU

No Events found!