Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2016 12:00

T3600 Windows 10 Upgrade Problems

I am working on upgrading my T3600 desktop to Windows 10 and it is not working. We are loading up our upgrade media on a USB drive like we have done for others in our office but when the setup restarts the first time a screen comes up asking for which keyboard to use and then goes to a troubleshooting screen. The only option that does anything shuts down the computer. Then windows 7 starts up again normally.

9 Posts

June 29th, 2016 07:00

As a matter of fact, yesterday the Dell support guy confirmed my story. They took a T3600 with Win7 in their lab, tried to upgrade to Win10, and got the same failure that I did. I am waiting for them to see what they do.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 29th, 2016 12:00

Guess that's "comforting" in the sense that it didn't work for them either. Goes back to how they can say this model "...can upgrade to Win 10". I'm guessing they probably did a clean install...

9 Posts

July 8th, 2016 14:00

OK - I was finally able to upgrade (not blow everything away to do a clean install). Here's how:

First, you need to understand the configuration of my T3600. The system board has four "HDDx" ports and 2 "SATAx" ports. The HDDx ports are enabled in the BIOS (A14) by the "SATA/RAID Operation" feature. The SATAx ports are enabled in the BIOS (A14) by the "AHCI Operation" feature.

My system was shipped with the hard drive plugged into the HDD0 port, and the DVD R/W drive plugged into the SATA0 port. The SATA/RAID setting in the BIOS was Enabled. The AHCI setting in the BIOS was "AHCI". The machine was shipped this way because I ordered it with the fastest data speed between the drive and its controller.

I changed the hardware configuration, by moving the DVD drive to the SATA1 port, and the hard drive to the SATA0 port. Then in the BIOS, I disabled the SATA/RAID operation setting. When I rebooted in Windows 7, and logged in, Windows 7 told me that there had been a change to the hardware, and I had to restart the computer.

After I restarted and logged in again, I initiated the upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows Update. It took a l o o o o n g time, but it worked. The upgrade finished, I was able to log in (took a long time), and everything was working, including the attached printer and the NVidia video card.

At Dell Tech Support's suggestion, I moved the hard drive back to the HDD0 port, and the DVD drive to the SATA0 port. During power up, I changed the SATA/RAID Operation setting to Enable in the BIOS. Started the computer again, and during the boot, Windows announced that there was no boot device. I powered down, moved the drive connections back to SATA0 and SATA1, Disabled the SATA/RAID setting, and after a slow startup, Windows 10 came back.

I wrote to Tech Support, asking them what to do to get the hard drive back to the HDD0 port. I am waiting for their response.

9 Posts

July 25th, 2016 07:00

It ain't over 'til it's over. I noticed a boot anomaly. When the hard drive is on the SATA0 port, first I see the Dell BIOS screen, then a black screen, then a black screen with the Windows logo, then a black screen, then the gray-green screen, then the login screen. BUT - when the hard drive is on the HDD0 port, first I see the Dell BIOS screen, then a black screen, then a black screen with the Windows logo, then a black screen, then another black screen with the Windows logo, then a black screen, then the gray-green screen, then the login screen. This takes longer than it should, and I think what is happening is that first Windows tries to boot to SATA0, waits a timeout, then tries to boot to HDD0. I tried uninstalling the SATA ports, and shut them down in the BIOS. That made no difference. It still wants to pause to test the SATA boot.

Does anyone know how to change this, so that it doesn't try to boot to SATA first with a timeout before going to the HDD port? Dell support has told me "that's the way it is", so they will not help.

No Events found!