Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2017 18:00

Trouble Connecting Monitor to Computer

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a Dell E1916HV Monitor and a Dell XPS 8920 tower to go with it. When I try to connect them and turn on the monitor, it displays "There is no connection coming from your computer, use a mouse or keyboard to wake up the monitor." I had to use a VGA > HDMI adapter in order to connect the monitor to the computer, but the adapter is not the issue. I connected the monitor to a laptop with a VGA port, and used the HDMI adapter as well, and the display worked fine in both cases. I also connected a tv to the computer via an HDMI cable, and it displayed fine on there. I have no idea why this may be happening.

Thank you for your help!

• 

17K Posts

November 1st, 2017 07:00

Grasianblue,

If the output device (PC/laptop) has a VGA output and your TV has a HDMI input the VGA to HDMI cable should give you video on the TV. A simple VGA to HDMI cable will not work for most video chipsets as they don't/can't output a digital signal over the VGA port. If your computer has just a VGA output you'll need a VGA-to-HDMI converter.

November 1st, 2017 17:00

Hello,

I do have an adapter that connects a VGA cord to an HDMI cord, and the monitor works when connected to a laptop using this adapter with the HDMI plug-in, and also without the adapter, using the normal VGA output. It does not seem to be an issue with the tower either, because it showed the proper screen when connected to the TV via an HDMI cord. The issue is when I try to connect the monitor to the tower.

Thank you for your reply.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 2nd, 2017 08:00

Let's start over...

The E1916HV monitor has the following video in ports = VGA

The XPS 8920 has multiple onboard video out ports = DP, HDMI

and could have an added discrete video card as shown in the picture below #2 =

So, does your XPS 8920 have the added discrete video card? If yes, which one? Check your invoice.

November 2nd, 2017 14:00

No, rather than having several types of ports in #2, it has an HDMI port and three DP ports.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 3rd, 2017 05:00

So you have a really high ended computer with an advanced added video card that has the following video out ports = HDMI/DP/DP/DP. I am not sure what converter you bought, but you need something like this.

XPS 8920 video card HDMI out port --> HDMI to VGA converter --> VGA to VGA cable --> E1916HV VGA in port

No Events found!