Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 17th, 2009 13:00

USB Problems

I have a Dimension E510 which I bought a few years ago.  Recenly (within the past year) the USB ports have been giving me problems.  Currently they will not recognize any USB device which I try to use unless it has a disk with the drivers on it.  With other products, such as my iPod, PSP, or external hard drive, it recognizes the device, but does not allow access, constantly asking for drivers.

I'm sure that I am overlooking something, because I have searched for USB updates and found nothing that works for me on the internet.  Any ideas what else I could try?  Any system update that I have missed?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 17th, 2009 17:00

Always include the version of Windows in your posts. :emotion-5:

I presume you have USB mouse and keyboard. Do they still work?  

Disconnect all USB devices except mouse and keyboard. If you can get to the desktop with functional mouse/keyboard, open Device Manager and expand the list under USB. Double-click on each USB root hub, one at a time. Then click the Power tab and look for the root hub that has the mouse attached; make note of which root hub that is. Now back at the main Device Manager screen, right-click each root hub and Uninstall. Save the one connected to the mouse for last.

When all root hubs are uninstalled, reboot and Windows should reinstall the USB drivers.

And you may want to read this from Microsoft.

Ron

July 17th, 2009 22:00

Totally wasn't paying attention when I wrote the first post.  It is windows xp, with service pack 2.  I checked the link you posted and that appears to be the exact problem. 

However, there is a new problem.  I was working on the problem like you said, uninstalling root hubs.  However, when I rebooted windows, my mouse and keyboard no longer work.  I cannot even get the computer to get into safe mode.  If I could operate the keyboard at least I could fix it.

Any idea how to do this now?

Edit: Update

I can get into safemode, set up, and other options before windows loads.  I still have my windows xp disc so reformatting/reinstalling is an option on the table.  It just appears that the mouse/keyboard will not work with windows.

2nd Update

Reformatted hard drive, reinstalled everything, now everything is working fine it seems.  Thank you for the help, looks like something might have been corrupted over the past few years.

295 Posts

July 18th, 2009 14:00

Hey Ron

I am glad that you wrote how to reinstall the Usb ports. I have been asking that question on this forum and many others with no results. I had forgot how to perform that function. I used it last yearto fix a Ipod Classic. The owner was going to throw it away and I ended up taking it. I did what you said and it worked. Now I have a ipod for $0.00.I wonder how many ipods get thrown away or sent back for the same thing?

Trafficflow

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 18th, 2009 14:00

Glad you got it fixed. Hope you backed up all your files before reformatting the drive.

Isn't it time you updated to Service Pack 3?  :emotion-4:

Ron

July 18th, 2009 15:00

Fortunately I had all of my important things backed up, the rest I'm slowly reinstalling.  Even got up to service pack 3.  lol

I really should have come here first before taking the problem other places.  I first noticed this with my iPod, and I tried going through Apple.  I first notified them about my problem, very specifically I might add, back in January.  I still have not received any kind of response as far as what the problem could be.  They won't even return my phone calls when I tried that. 

As far as the amount of iPods that are tossed out or sent back for this problem, check out their forums.  I counted quite a few others that had roughly the same problem as myself, and none of the answers came anywhere close to being as useful as this.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 19th, 2009 18:00

Schussh! Next time anybody wants to toss an Ipod that's not being recognized on a PC, tell 'em it's broken and then sent it to me! I could use a nice Ipod. :emotion-1:

Glad you guys are all set now.

Ron

No Events found!