Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2016 20:00

USB headset not recognized, Windows 7, XPS 8300

My desktop does not recognize my USB headset.  The headset did not come with a disc for the driver, but it does work on other desktop PCs.

The earphones on a headset with separate mic/phones mini plugs does work on.  I haven't tried the mic on this headset though.

Can someone please advise what to do.

Thank you,

Joel

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 5th, 2016 20:00

* What specific make/model USB headset?
* Do the other systems also have Windows 7?
* Did you test the USB headset in all front and rear USB ports?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 6th, 2016 07:00

I would also find a USB hard drive or extra USB mouse and test all of the XPS 8300 USB ports to verify that they function.

January 6th, 2016 07:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for you input.

• Unfortunately the headset does not have a name or model or any other identification marked on it,
  • I tried the headset, about a year ago, at the electronic store I bought it at, but I'm not sure what OS they were using.  I'll see if I can try it on a another system with Windows 7.  (Good point!!)
  • I tried the headset on all USB ports (front and back) - no luck on any port.

Joel

January 6th, 2016 10:00

Hi Chris,

The USB ports I tried the headset on work for my printer, scanner, Kobo e-reader, Garmin GPS, Garmin Golf GPS .....  So I think it's a driver problem.  I was wondering if there was a generic driver for a USB headset.

Joel 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 6th, 2016 11:00

That I do not know. Normally they come from the headset manufacturer (Logitech, Plantronics, etc.).
* Turn the XPS 8300 off
* Disconnect the USB headset
* Turn the XPS 8300 on
* Open the Device Manager
* Open Universal Serial Bus Controllers
* Count them
* Plug the USB headset into a front USB port. Did anything new appear in Universal Serial Bus Controllers?

January 11th, 2016 20:00

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate them. Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner, but I've been very busy this last little while.

Some clarifications: Soon after I bought the headset quite a while back, I went back to the store and they showed me that it worked on one of their PCs so they would not return/exchange it (They have a VERY tough return policy). Your comment on whether they were using Windows 7 got me thinking. So a few days ago, I went back to them to see if they could demonstrate that the headset would work on one of their PCs with Windows 7.

The results were the same as on my Windows 7 PC - “USB device not recognized”. The technician was pretty sure that last year's PC used Windows 7, but that's moot point now. If I get a chance this weekend I'm going to try the headset on my HP laptop that uses Windows 8. I'll keep you up to date.

Thanks for your help.

Joel

No Events found!