Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2010 12:00

Upgrading RAM

I have upgraded and replaced RAM in many  a Dell PC, 8 out of 10 times it results in the dreaded beeps.
 It is not that the memory is seated incorrectly and experience has told me  to only attempt an upgrade with exactly the same type and speed of RAM but still the same beeps.
 Even resetting the CMOS results in the beeps.
 It also occurrs when Intrusion Detection is disabled in the BIOS.

I am trying this on a dell C521 at the moment which has four DIMM slots and is capable of up to 4 Gbs of RAM.
Two DIMM slots have 512mb of DDR2-667 and it Beeps when I install any DDR2-667 in the other two DIMM slots (1Gb x2 or 512mb x2).

Has anyone else come accross this and if so did you find a fix?
Any Ideas wecome.

1.7K Posts

July 7th, 2010 13:00

It is not so much the exact type of memory but the manufacturer of the memory that Dells are picky about.  This is why most will recommend Crucial memory for Dell systems as it is guaranteed to work.  C521 memory found HERE.  Sometimes installing the new memory modules in one at a time by themselves with the older memory out will give you success.  After installing one of the new memory modules, reboot the system to see if it starts without any issues.  

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 7th, 2010 13:00

Also check the bios to make sure the memory info is correct. The memory must be unbuffered non-ECC. Read THIS from the manual about installing memory.

System Setup (bios) from the manual--Memory Info: Lists the type, size, speed, and channel mode (dual or single) of installed memory.

5 Posts

July 7th, 2010 14:00

What I'm talking about can even happen like this;

Say you have a Dell with two 512mbs of RAM.
And you take one stick of RAM out.
It will boot up but with beeps and no display.
If you stick that same stick of RAM back in
It will boot fine.

5 Posts

July 7th, 2010 14:00

"The memory must be unbuffered non-ECC"

as I stated I've used exactly the same RAM.

No Events found!