Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 2nd, 2016 07:00

Using Wireless Mouse/Keyboard (KM713) for XPS 8900

Tried to set up wireless mouse KM713 to use with new XPS 8900. Have USB dongle that comes with KM713.

Does not work. When I plug in the USB dongle (using XPS's USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports), mouse and keyboard are not recognized, don't work. USB 3.0 port nothing happens. USB 2.0 port the computer attempts to load the wifi dongle, but it fails.

Am I missing KM713 mouse/keyboard drivers? I don't want to use third party website drivers (viruses?). Cannot locate a KM713 mouse/keyboard driver on the Dell support (drivers) website. The only driver that I found was for a different version of the KM713 mouse, but it did not work.

Can anyone provide a link to the correct driver(s) on the Dell website? Alternately, I have a Dell driver disk for the XPS 2710 computer that worked with the KM713 mouse/keyboard, but it has hundreds of drivers on it. Not sure which one(s) are the KM713 mouse/keyboard drivers. Does anyone know the correct driver name(s) so I can search the disk?

Any help appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 2nd, 2016 07:00

According to the manual, only Windows 7/Vista/XP are supported. What operating system are you running? Did you change the four AAA batteries? Both the mouse and keyboard have power switches. Did you turn them on?

ftp.dell.com/.../dell-km713-wrls-knm_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf

67 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 08:00

Hi Chris,

Thank you for writing back. The new XPS 8900 runs Windows 10 x 64. Really like that wireless KM713 mouse and keyboard (came with a previous XPS 2710).

I had tried the other steps. The batteries are OK, turned both the power switches on.

As mentioned, if I plug in to the XPS 8900 USB 2.0 (not the 3.0), it attempts to load the dongle, but then it stops: toolbar loading icon disappears before completing.

I can recognize and use a Logitech mouse/keyboard with their Unifying software and USB dongle. Just would prefer my old Dell KM713 mouse/keyboard, if I could get it to work.

Keep thinking that the new XPS 8900 may not have the KM713 drivers that likely were on the XPS 2710?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 2nd, 2016 13:00

Here is the catch, the XPS One 2710 was never validated with Windows 10. So any drivers it may have used with any peripherals would only work in Windows 7/8/8.1. Additionally, the only download I found was, "Dell KM713 Wireless Keyboard Caps Lock Indicator and Eject Key Application" which is not an actual device driver.

67 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 16:00

OK, thank you, Chris.

Best Wishes,

No Events found!