Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 21st, 2001 20:00

VShield Updates

Hi, my computer has McAfee VShield 4.0.2 Where can I get updates for this?

September 21st, 2001 21:00

Hi,

You can go to McAfee and download the evaluation V.5.x.

As far as updating the Verson 4.x, as far as I can tell, there are no downloads available and the V.4.x will reach the End of Life on 12/31/01.

Steve

9.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2001 02:00

If your looking for the DAT file updates and SuperDat file updates, they can be found at the following:

ftp://ftp.mcafee.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x/

The standard disclaimer.... I don't work for Dell nor am I associated with Dell. I'm not even related to Michael Dell, although there are times I would like to be the first born
son to Bill Gate$.

If Windows was perfect, Bill wouldn't
be trying to sell you the next version.

All opinions expressly contained herein are subject to more opinion.

September 22nd, 2001 06:00

Hi,

To restate my previous post, McAfee V. 4.0.2 is no longer able to support the current DAT files and Scan Engines. Upon installation you will be notified of this.

Here is the "official" word from McAfee concerning updating to the latest Scan Engine.

Official Statement from AVERT regarding engines 4.0.50 and older and their EOL (End Of Life).

Virus detection and cleaning is at the heart of what McAfee stands for. Virus Research, including the creation of new detection and cleaning technologies, is what McAfee AVERT represents. Day after day, AVERT discovers new virus threats, many requiring updates to the products that use the scan engine. While most users know they need to update the DATs regularly, many are not aware of the importance in updating the scanning engine. Updating the engine is as important, and in some cases more important than updating the DATs. New engine technologies are needed to detect certain viruses even when you have the latest DATs.

A scheduled maintenance program should be part of any anti-virus policy. As part of this maintenance program, AVERT always recommends customers update both the engine and the DATS.

McAfee AVERT continually services and maintains the group of engines that are distributed, declaring certain older, non-supported engines obsolete. There is a group of engines in this category today, which should be removed from service and replaced with the latest available engine from AVERT - version 4.1.40.

Engines 4.0.50 and older should be replaced immediately, as these engines cannot support some of the new technology that has been integrated into the DATs. Keeping these engines could render ANY McAfee and Network Associates' product, using the scan engine, inoperable when using a DAT dated from July 4th, 2001 and onward.

Over the past few months, McAfee's product management team has created a matrix to outline what engines are no longer supported, and the 4.0.50 engine is at the top of this list, as we know many users have this engine still in operation. Over the past few months AVERT has worked to prolong the life of this and the older engines, while supporting the movement to have them replaced.

Over the course of the next few weeks, the likelihood of these engines not working any longer will increase. As we have made every effort to prolong this event, we will no longer support engines 4.0.50 and older.

They will NOT BE TESTED against any DAT package that AVERT ships, and any issues that arise from failure to update the engine will be responded to with an UPDATE YOUR ENGINE message from AVERT and the support organization worldwide.

Our goal is to keep you virus free. To do so, we must continually evolve our technology and encourage you to keep your scanning components updated. The combination of a sound AV Policy and education will help to ensure your anti-virus security.

I appreciate your understanding and commitment to a sound AV Policy.

Thank you,

Vincent Gullotto
Sr. Director AVERT Labs
A division of McAfee and Network Associates

9.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2001 15:00

Thanks for the update. From my understanding of the posting from McAfee, if the user upgraded to version 4.0.3 then they would be able to continue with the McAfee DAT updates as that version contains the newer scan engine. If that be the case, if the user is interested I'll e-mail them the 4.0.2 to 4.0.3 upgrade.

The standard disclaimer.... I don't work for Dell nor am I associated with Dell. I'm not even related to Michael Dell, although there are times I would like to be the first born
son to Bill Gate$.

If Windows was perfect, Bill wouldn't
be trying to sell you the next version.

All opinions expressly contained herein are subject to more opinion.

September 22nd, 2001 21:00

Hi,

You are correct that the V. 4.0.3 is being supported until 12/31. I have that version stored but emailing 8MBs is not on my list of things to do.

Steve

No Events found!