Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2008 04:00

Very upset with my XPS 720

Hello, 

I was so happy because I received my XPS 720 on Wednesday till I found many issues…

When I open the box I pulled out I heard weird noise so I opened the case and found that one of the aluminum piece that cover the corsair memory ram fall off so I removed the memory to avoid damage for both PC and memory.  So now my PC is running at 3GB instead of 4GB. For the second time that I turn on my PC it freeze sometimes at the Windows XP screen so I have to turn it off this problem had happen to me 2 times. I’m using an internet wireless service AT&T usb sierra card I notice at the installation didn’t recognized the card because it install the driver automatically when is connected so it freeze then when I restart it started working but when I’m browsing it suddenly disconnect I tried back and it doesn’t allow me so I got to restart and unplug & plug the sierra card to get my connection back but when I hit connect at the Communication Manager it said “Error 651: The modem or other connecting device has reported an error” so I tried again it connects and issue comes frequently the air card is connected to the Dell monitor but this shouldn’t be a problem because I was using my laptop with this monitor and my air card was working perfect and her usb ports are 1.0 and the 4 ports can work together I can’t do the same on the xps720 with the monitor because one of them it said that its unknown or damage which isn’t and if I use 3 devices she disconnect my air card. I got a blue screen that said (nv4_disp.dll) also others blue screens with some #. Another thing is when installing an expansion of a game didn’t allow me to play it because a small window error pops up said it can’t. Every time I insert a CD for installation I must go to the optical unit and run o play because it doesn’t do auto run. I called Dell support but they run diagnostic tools which don’t show anything wrong. They don’t have an exact clue of what’s happening or what is causing this. I pay lot of money to receive a PC with fully issues. I like the PC but everything I do there’s a problem.

Thanks

XPS 720

Quad Core 2.4

4GB Corsair Dominator (currently running with 3GB)

Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB 

WD Raptor Hard drive 160GB 10,000RPM

Windows XP Media Center Edition

Dual Drives 16X Read 16X Burner (DvD+/-RW)

Sound Blaster X-FI

Power Supply 1KW

PS: I apologize if I post this in the wrong section.

175 Posts

April 18th, 2008 05:00

I'm new here, so take my advice with caution! :smileywink:

That said, I think memory modules need to run in pairs, you cannot just take 1x1GB out and expect things to go down smoothly.  You may need to remove the other 1GB module and use only 2GB until you can replace the faulty one.

Of course, that will probably not solve all your problems as you described, but it will maybe prevent a blue screen or two.

Good luck,

Rafa.

2.3K Posts

April 18th, 2008 05:00

Joarmyman;  Welcome to DCF...

I am truly sorry about the issues you are having.

I think you should contact Dell Tech Support..... if in USA, call 800-232-8544, otherwise use XPS Chat.

At the same time if these issues cannot be resolved, you could ask for a refund or a new machine within the first 21-days after your PC's "Shipping Date"

Peace

29 Posts

April 18th, 2008 06:00

My strong advice is to send it back. If a system is messed up, as you say yours is, then it is what I'd term a "Lemon". You'll be dealing with issue as long as you have it and you'll never be happy. I know because I had one that was the same type of issue--different problems--but one problem after another. I called. I griped. And, Dell sent out a new machine. Try and get them to pay the return freight. If they won't, I'd strongly suggest that you just send it back and buy elsewhere. Let's face it. These XPS rigs are not cheap. And, you should not be stuck with a machine with so many issues right out of the box.

While I am generally happy with the replacement, I have noticed that Dell (since my initial purchase in 1998) has become more and more poor in quality, both in terms of the machines and the support. I recently noticed that they are moving away from building "custom" machines to the pre-built "cookie cutter" format. Selling in stores and on QVC is not the Dell I knew and that was known for great quailty and support. I will build my next. Cheaper and you can get exactly what you want.

Again, my advice: Send it back.

27 Posts

April 18th, 2008 09:00

send it back, sounds like it was dropped in shipping if things were broke in case. You paid to much money to get pc that was damaged in shipping or when it was packed for shipping.

41 Posts

April 18th, 2008 13:00

Read this for my opinion on what you should do.  It speaks for itself.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&thread.id=51529

29 Posts

April 18th, 2008 16:00

I was very firm in that I wanted a brand new system. I got it, but not without 15 plus phone calls and several days of hassle. I was stuck. I had the system for about 6 months and was well past the 21 days. If I were in the position of the person who has the problems here, I'd send it back. This one will have nothing but trouble.

41 Posts

April 18th, 2008 17:00

Just a thought, but given my experience with DELL Support so far, I wonder:

1) If you send it back, this must be the pool used for the Refurbs (See my threads).

2) I assume any system sent back to DELL they Reburb based on reason for the return plus standard checks (and given my experience so far, this may not be very extensive).  I know they DON'T stress test each unit, for if they did, mine would have skyrocketed red flares all over within a few minutes.  Now I'm stuck with something that won't work (yet).

3) So, you may get back a Refurb (a system someone else didn't want) and possibly someone elses problems (if they weren't checked and resolved).

4) If you are within 21 days of purchase.  Return it and get a (*new*) replacement or a refund, no matter what!  Then turn around and reorder it again.  This is the only way to ensure you get new.  It doesn't cost anything, and it may save you hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours in repair time and trouble (again, see my threads).

29 Posts

April 18th, 2008 18:00

I made sure by going to Level 3, selecting and building the componets like I did when it was a first time order and actually tracking the build of my replacement. But, again, I had no choice. In the circustances of this person, I agree, send it back--no discussion.

I have had friends that have ordered from the Dell Outlet and, like you, these machines have not (as far as I can tell) gone through any sort of "extensive checks and restoration" as Dell claims. They may have been put through some basic test and had a new "software dump", but they are not resotored to like new. And, if you have an intermittent problem that causes a return, that in my opinion will most likey be passed to the next "lucky" customer wo gets a "deal" at the outlet. Consumer Reports lists a number of things that should not be bought "refurbished" and computers are at the top of the list.

9 Posts

April 18th, 2008 21:00

Greetings,   First of all I would like to thank all of you for replying. I can see that Im not the only one having issue with dell brand new products… I had spent a few hours with the customer service and they told me to send it back to receive a new one, right now Im working on that to drop it off tomorrow morning. I hope not to receive surprises when the new one arrives.       Regards,

27 Posts

April 19th, 2008 01:00

I am not sticking up for dell, but the issues I had with mine I got fixed once through this forum when   a person from dell seen my post and took the time to call me and fix the issue, The other time when I ordered and I ordered the wrong pc and got help from XPS support to make sure I got what I wanted.

If you just got it send it back, do not wait or whine, just do it! I DONT CARE WHO YOU ORDER A PC FROM THEY ARE THE SAME! There hands are tied from shareholders because only the bottom line counts now.

Even if you ordered from a newegg you can still have issues, like UPS losing your order and both them saying you have talk to the other first, lol At least on this forum yo can post most anything up to point, try posting on newegg site with this thread and it would never seen light of day. Or for that matter same gos with Apple they lock the threads that hint of trouble with there computers. 

Message Edited by sollman on 04-18-2008 09:32 PM
Message Edited by sollman on 04-18-2008 09:33 PM
No Events found!