Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2012 12:00

Vista not booting up. Boot error

Hello Dell community. I have a Dell XPS 420 and it is operating on Vista. One day, my computer was operating fine with no problems and then I shut it off. When i reopened it, there was a black screen with a blinking underscore. I have researched across google and found that it may have been a hard drive problem. However, there was a post about using Bootrec commands to fix it and that is what I used. I used bootrec.exe/fixmbr and bootrec.exe/fixboot. However, I was not able to use bootrec.exe/rebuildBCD even though it scanned and found an operating system. It said the requested system device could not be found. I rebooted the computer and the black screen with a blinking underscore was not there anymore. It now showed an error that said File:\Boot\BCD. Status: 0xc000000f. I researched about this and people have said that the mbr was corrupted and so I went out to fix it. I used all the commands of bootrec and nothing changed. I attempted system recovery and it found some errors. It was going to repair and restart the computer but it was not able to save the startup options and I was stuck again. Then i attempted startup repair and it came up with an error. The error said :

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 1 : ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 2 : 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 3 : 0
Problem Signature 4 : 65537
Problem Signature 5 : Unknown
Problem Signature 6 : NoOSinstalled
Problem Signature 7 : 0
Problem Signature 8 : 1
Problem Signature 9 : FixPartitionTable
Problem Signature 10: 15299
OS Version:                6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID:                   1033

I have tried using EasyBCD to make a bootable USB drive but it seems the system was not able to recognize it. I have tried accessing the usb drive through cmd but it said the requested device was not ready. I am in desperate need of help because I have been looking for answers for 3 days and this problem is not going away. Im not sure if I have made this problem worst or not but I need help. Thank you in advance and someone please help. 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 29th, 2012 14:00

Run the Dell Diagnostics from your Dell Utilities disk to see if any hardware has failed. It probably is a failed hard drive. BTW, your Vista disk is a boot disk.

June 29th, 2012 15:00

I ran the diagnostics and it said error code 0146

msg:error code 2000-0146

Msg: Unit 0: DST Log contains previous errors

How do hard drives fail because i haven't downloaded anything for the past few days.

June 29th, 2012 16:00

is there any way of fixing the hard drive? because there are some software that i'm not sure can be replaced...

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 29th, 2012 16:00

learningvista

Error 0146 indicates a failed/failing hard drive or bad drive sector.  

This means your hard drive will need to be replaced.

Hard drives are always failing.

Hard drives are mechanical devices and as such will fail, it's just a question of when.  

As far as I'm concerned, there are only two types of hard drives, the ones that have failed and those that are waiting to fail. 

Hence the reason for warranties and for keeping your backups to other media current.

Bev.

June 29th, 2012 18:00

on the computer

June 29th, 2012 19:00

oh alright. thank you for helping.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 29th, 2012 19:00

learningvista

No, the best you can do, is try to recover the data files and folders, all the drivers, applications and programs need to be reinstalled on the replacement drive from their discs, or downloaded from the publisher's website.

Bev. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 29th, 2012 20:00

learningvista

:emotion-21:

Bev.

No Events found!