Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2009 09:00

Vostro 200 and XP Installation Problem

Hi, I purchased a Vostro 200 mini with Vista recently.  After I got it, I tried installing some software I have and ran into many problems.  So now I am trying to reformat the hard drive and install XP on it.  I have an old XP SP2 CD from previous computer purchase.  I booted it up from CD and it looks like it's loading things and then the blue screen of death showed up.  The stop error is 0x0000007B.

My question would be how do you install XP on Vostro 200?  I have XP SP2, do I need XP SP3? or some other drivers?  I have no floppy on this machine so if other drivers are needed at installation, how do I do it? F6/floppy wouldnt be an option for me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jason

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

January 2nd, 2009 11:00

Sounds like the SATA driver.

Check in your BIOS for SATA operation mode.   If it's in AHCI mode, change it ATA, then XP should be able to recognize the drive.

However, I do have to warn you:  If the XP CD you're using was originally an OEM version installed on another computer, it's  a violation of the license agreeement to install it on another system.   An OEM license is valid only for the computer it was installed on and can't be transferred; only a retail copy can do that.  The only exception is if you bought the Vostro with Vista Business or Ultimate, in which case you have downgrade rights to use your Vista license with XP.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 13th, 2015 11:00

Answered in your other thread.

2 Posts

January 5th, 2009 18:00

Thanks, changing the mode to ATA worked and I am able to install XP with SP2.  It's strange I did try changing the mode to ATA before and the installation freezes at the screen where you press enter to install XP.  Maybe because I deleted the original Vista installation by running Vista CD and delete the partitions.  I am just wondering what's the difference between ATA and AHCI mode.  Any performance gain?

1 Message

April 14th, 2009 16:00

Your recommendation helped me with installing Windows XP Pro on a Vostro 220 which came with Vista Home Basic.  Thanks.

Orrin

1 Message

March 5th, 2010 17:00

Many thanks to Alexandra_P.  Making the change in the BIOS from AHCI to ATA did the trick!  I was going crazy trying to get XP to install.  Oh, and yes, the PC came with downgrade rights to XP.  Everything's on the up and up over here. :emotion-1:

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

March 5th, 2010 19:00

Glad that helped.

Newer Dell XP disks (2006, maybe?) usually have SATA drivers included, but a plain-vanilla copy of XP doesn't.    They can be loaded from a floppy or you can slipstream the drivers yourself,  but from what I understand the main advantages (native command queuing and hot-swapping) aren't really noticeable on a standard PC.   Just using the legacy mode XP already understands is easier.    

Seems to be mainly a big advantage for servers - lots of drives and lots of simultaneous requests to read disks.

EDIT:  Should mention that if you ever want to use RAID (2 drives in an organized array, not just an "extra" drive you add for data storage), you have to load the drivers.   But don't ask me how to do that - I'm just a plain old user who likes to learn, but not so experienced in actually doing.

May 13th, 2015 02:00

Hi I realise this thread is 5 years old but here ghoes... I cannot find the SATA operation mode in the Dell Vospro 200 - I'm trying to install XP pro back on due to software restrictions and cannot find the sata mode - any thoughts on where it was?

No Events found!