Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2010 14:00

Vostro 220 s PSU burnt out

Hi Everyone,

I currently have 20 Dell Vostro 220 slims. The only added hardware is a Nvidia Quadro NVS 55/280 PCI. Recently I had three out of the 20 PC's PSU burn out on me. Dell has replaced the 3 fried PSU's, but my concern is that the other PSU's will fail after my warranty ends. Has anyone else had this issue with a Vostro? Also, do you think it could be my Nvidia card causing the PSU to overheat? The PSU is a Bestec250 W. Any help given will be greatly appreciated.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 18th, 2010 22:00

The 220s power supply is standard TFX and 400-watt units can be found on eBay.

It's plausible that the added load contributed to the early failures.

2 Posts

May 20th, 2010 07:00

I discovered the PSU should be able to hold up with the Nvidia card. I believe the PSU overheated causing this issue. Has anyone else had this happen to their Bestec 250w PSU? I have had this happen to three so far.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 20th, 2010 18:00

I haven't used my 220s much, but I've been using a 540s for nearly a year and it's held up fine.

November 25th, 2011 11:00

Yes, I have stock 220s and i have had one PSU fail and 2 more have a burning smell.

The largest inductor, between the power regulators and the mains socket is burning out.  First it gets hot enough for the varnish to burn off giving the burning smell, then later the inductor itself fails.  There can be quite a gap between the 2 events.

I am getting them replaced today actually, i had no problems getting the 2 that haven't failed completely yet replaced so Dell is probably aware of the problem.

BTW that quadro is only a 12W part. It would add minimal load to the system.

No Events found!