Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2013 07:00

Vostro 260 - BIOS update from A08 to A10 impossible

Yesterday I downloaded BIOS A10 for a Vostro 260, but there is this error message when I want to start the update process:

What is wrong here?

1.5K Posts

June 14th, 2013 12:00

Hi Dave,

I have sent you a private message, please check and reply with the information. Also, please try the steps shared by rdunnill and check if they work. Please share the results.

@abachmann: I would request you to try the steps shared by rdunnill and keep me posted with the results. Our Engineering Team is still investigating on it.

@Happyshow, Goma78, iTimothy85, Pedroamatt; I will keep you posted with results.

14 Posts

June 17th, 2013 01:00

Have you tried performing this upgrade from a DOS-booted USB flash drive? That's how I updated my XPS 8500 to A10.

How should a 32 bit Windows Application run on a 16 Bit DOS environment?

34 Posts

June 17th, 2013 10:00

When you create a bootable disk in Windows 7, for it to work, you need to reboot computer, and press f12 rapidly to change boot sequence.

If you create this as a DOS bootable disk, will it conflict with windows 7, and should the downloaded bios update be copied to the flash drive for easier access?

34 Posts

June 17th, 2013 17:00

I tried this but it asks for a location to find DOS files to create the bootable disk.

I can create a bootable windows CD or DVD but don't know where you found DOS on Windows 7.

Perhaps if you list this step by step?

1.5K Posts

June 20th, 2013 11:00

Hi,

@Happyshow, Goma78, iTimothy85, Pedroamatt; Apologies for a delayed response. We are still working on the issue to find a resolution to this. I'll keep you posted.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 20th, 2013 11:00

[quote user="rdunnill"]

Have you tried performing this upgrade from a DOS-booted USB flash drive? That's how I updated my XPS 8500 to A10.

[/quote]

It's a DOS application. That's typically how BIOS updates are performed.

14 Posts

June 21st, 2013 00:00

[quote user="abachmann"]

[quote user="rdunnill"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Yes, ten years ago. Dell's BIOS update tools are Windows applications for some years now.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 21st, 2013 11:00

[quote user="rdunnill"]

[quote user="abachmann"]

[quote user="rdunnill"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Yes, ten years ago. Dell's BIOS update tools are Windows applications for some years now.

[/quote]

I updated the BIOS of my XPS 8500, a model from last year, from a DOS-booted flash drive. BIOS version A10 was released in March of this year.

Even if a Windows version is available, DOS is the safest way to perform this risky operation that can "brick" your motherboard if it fails.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 21st, 2013 11:00

Assuming you ran the BIOS update inside Windows 7, did you disable your antiviral and anti-malware software before  you ran the update? They typically cause problems like this with BIOS updates.

After the flash update and a reboot, be sure to re-enable the antiviral/anti-malware software again. :emotion-5:

34 Posts

June 22nd, 2013 18:00

I completely disabled antivirus/antimalware, disabled firewall, tried safemode, tried booting to cd/dvd into windows and update from there, but still same results. a message pops up that says Get Me Version Error, Get Last Error=2.

Until now I had no problem updating the BIOS from original factory BIOS to A02, A04, A08.

But A10 simply doesn't function.

I am in discussion with DELL Tech online who have passed the problem on to their engineers.

After numerous tests, attempts etc, I am not holding out much hope for a solution to this issue.

34 Posts

June 24th, 2013 21:00

Is the DELL BIOS update "MS-A10" as recommended by DELL the same BIOS update found on CNET ?

download.cnet.com/.../3010-2110_4-107951.html

If it is, it would possibly explain why we are having trouble installing it. Look at the release date, 8 years ago.

1 Message

June 25th, 2013 09:00

We have about 6 of these Vostro 260 Windows 7 64-bit workstations. I can also confirm that MS-A10 does work on any of them. I've tried all the suggestions here and a few tricks of my own. We cannot flash to MS-A10.

1.5K Posts

June 25th, 2013 09:00

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your patience and continuous support. I have shared your feedback with the Engineering and Product Group team. They are looking in to this issue. I will keep you posted.

The link that you shared above is for the Servers not related to the Desktop or the current issue.

@trtrtr: Thank you for sharing the information. We are currently working on this issue. As soon as I get any update on this I will share it with you.

1.5K Posts

June 28th, 2013 04:00

Hi,

@Dave, trtrtr and abachmann: Thank you for your continued patience. The Engineering Team is working on this issue. Will keep you posted.

31 Posts

July 1st, 2013 17:00

Any solution for this yet, I'd like to update the BIOS pre-selling the machine this week? Thanks

No Events found!