Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2012 09:00

Vostro 470 SATA ports

I'm looking to replace my Seagate 500GB HD with a SSD and use the Seagate as my secondary drive.  On the motherboard I noticed that there are 3 black SATA ports and one white SATA ports.  What are the differences?  Given that I also have a DVD-RW drive (currently plugged into the white SATA port) what ports should I plug each device into for best performance?  Does the motherboard support SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSDs?  If so, will it actually run at 6.0Gb/s?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 4th, 2012 08:00

John,

Doing a Google Search, the RESULTS are interesting. I would think that there is a standard. The top two threads pount out some interesting answers.

JACK'S THREAD explains some very interesting information, also.

THIS THREAD may also help.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 5th, 2012 09:00

The Intel H77 Chipset  6 Gbit/s, 2 Ports & 3 Gbit/s, 4 Ports

Next generation high-speed storage interface supporting up to 6Gb/s transfer rates for optimal data access with up to 2 SATA ports.

Integrated USB 3.0 support, provides greater enhancement in performance with a design data rate of up to 5 gigabits per second (Gbps) with up to 4 USB 3.0 ports.

ESATA interface designed for use with external SATA devices. Provides a link for 3 Gb/s data speeds to eliminate bottlenecks found with current external storage solutions.

Brief: Intel® H77...

Product Brief: Designed for performance and responsiveness to deliver entertaining PC experiences.
Preview | Download

Chipset Code Name sSpec Number Part numbers Release Date Socket Bus Interface Bus Speed PCIE PCI Sata USB FDI TDP
H77             Panther Point SLJ88(C1)            BD82H77    (PCH)  April 8, 2012               LGA         1155 DMI      2.0 4 GB/s 8 PCI-E 2.0 Yes 6 Gbit/s, 2 Ports & 3 Gbit/s, 4 Ports Rev 3.0, 4 Ports & Rev 2.0, 10 ports Yes 6.7 W

The Blue Cable is the Hard Drive SATA 0 and the Orange/Red Sata Cable SATA 2 is the DVD.

This means to me that 6Gb SATA aka SATA 3 is on the Blue Connector SATA 0 and White Connector  SATA 1

The Orange/Red Cable is on SATA 2 and then the other Black Connector is SATA 3.

ALSO note the MINI PCI for the wireless card next to the X16 video laying down.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2012 15:00

Hi pqle,

I'm looking at the guide and once again, Dell has provided as little information as possible in the user's (or useless) guide. Let me see if I can get some help.

By the way, I see one white port, one blue and two black. The white port is SATA 0, blue is SATA 1, and so forth. There does not appear to be an SATA III capability, but I need to check.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2012 17:00

John,

My Renesas 3.0 usb ports are blue

My usb/esata port is black

I have see the white usb ports at work. Not sure if they're 2.0 or 1.0

Rick

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 4th, 2012 05:00

Thanks, Rick. Any idea about the SATA ports?

4 Posts

July 4th, 2012 11:00

Osprey,

After looking at my data ports I was wrong in listing details of my data ports. I have 4 total sata ports; sata0 (blue), sata1(white), sata3(black), sata4(black).   If all sata ports are the same then why the different colors?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 4th, 2012 13:00

Beats me.

Did you see the links Rick posted above?

4 Posts

July 5th, 2012 09:00

Thank you Speed Step.  Funny thing is I contacted Dell Support and asked if the Vostro 470 supported SATA 3 speeds and they said 'no' and that  I would have to purchase an Optiplex 7010 or 9010.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 5th, 2012 10:00

I'm Just making an Educated Guess Based on the Design and Chipset.   I do not work for Dell nor do I have access to any engineering data on the board etc.

www.dell.com/.../pd

If they are only using the 3Gb ports then You can always put an X1 PCI-E Controller in.

Velocity Solo - SSD Upgrade Kit for Desktop PCs - Apricorn

Uses a single PCIe 2.0 x1 slot; 2.5" SSD connects via SATA III interface; Additional ... The Velocity Solo uses a Marvell SATA 6G AHCI Raid controller

2 Posts

August 30th, 2012 13:00

Here is my best guess:  The chipset supports 2 sata channels at 6Gb/s; I assume Dell wired these to the mSata slot (for a fast mssd) and to the blue Sata 0 connector (for a fast boot drive).

The chipset additionally supports 4 sata channels at 3Gb/s; these must be wired to the Sata connectors 1 thru 3.  Sata 1 is colored white, either to indicate it is for the optical disk (no particular reason) or for an eSata drive (because it supports hot-swapping?).  The last two are ordinary, and black.  

That leaves one Sata 3Gb/s channel in the chipset that does not appear anywhere on the MB.  It seems to me that Dell could have ported this as an eSata connection out the back panel.  After all, the Vostro 460 has such an eSata connection; why would they delete that in the 470?  In any event, the documentation of the 470 is shockingly bad.

38 Posts

December 24th, 2012 05:00

www.tomshardware.com/.../sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110.html

"Upgrade Advice: Does Your Fast SSD Really Need SATA 6Gb/s?" February 1, 2012 by Andrew Ku

4 Posts

December 31st, 2012 10:00

Thanks for the article DAKITAS.

No Events found!