Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2011 00:00

Weird Noise Emitted From CPU

Lately, I noticed that a weird noise is emitted from CPU of my XPS 420. Even after removing the computer casing and checking all fans working well, I still could not pinpoint the source of the noise. 2 occasions when the noise is quite noticeable:

1. Playing video.

2. Playing games. When I was loading my savegame, the noise is not being emitted. Only after the savegame is completely loaded and I am starting to play the game, it starts to emit the noise.

I know that my description is still vague and thus, it is diificult to determine the source of the noise. At the very least, could you suggest several potential causes and their respective solutions? I am afraid that if do not address this problem soon, it may lead to imminent failure to my computer.

My computer specification is as follow:

Dell XPS420 Desktop / BIOS A07
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
8 GB (4 x 2 GB) Kingston DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM Memory
768 MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX
1 TB 7200 RPM Samsung SpinPoint F3 hard disk
425 W Power Supply Unit

Thank you for your advice.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 24th, 2011 03:00

The CPU itself will not emit any noise.  The only moving part is the CPU cooling fan.  I would look closely at the hard drive as it is in motion (spinning), the CPU cooling fan and if you have a fan on the video card check it out.  There is also a fan in the power supply.  

Because it's noticeable when playing games, the CPU cooling fan and the fan on the Video card are the two most logical sources.

No Events found!