Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 1st, 2014 20:00

Weird Soft "Drumming" Noise from Speakers on XPS 8700

I have an XPS 8700 with AX210 Speakers. The speakers are set up correctly as I can play music thru them fine. The problem I am having is an intermittent 1 or 2 second weird noise as if someone is drumming rapidly on a piece of wood. Then it stops, and may not occur again for quite some time. It is low in volume compared to the music or the Windows sounds, but it is annoying as the dickens. It seems to occur more frequently when I am using the laser mouse, and I don't recall it ever occurring when the machine is sitting idle. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this or what I can do to troubleshoot this? Thanks.

459 Posts

May 1st, 2014 20:00

HI,

Do you have any wireless devices around the speakers? Cell phone, blackberry, Tablet, Android?

May 2nd, 2014 05:00

Hi: I have a wireless router about 8 inches behind the left speaker and an Epson wireless printer about 1 inch from the right speaker. Could these be the cause? If so, how would I test this? Warren

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 2nd, 2014 12:00

Cellphones, Blackberry's etc do this. Doesn't matter if the computer is on or not if its powered speakers.

23 Posts

May 8th, 2014 13:00

Are you still having this issue after moving the wireless?  Some other users have been experiencing audio issues also, for me my feedback/drumming noises go away by clicking mute on Stereo Mix in the Dell Audio panel.  Then I lose the stereo 7.1 speakers, but I don't have to hear the extra noise anymore.

I don't know why but it seems like the realtek audio driver is conflicting with the Dell audio program and I (and some other users, see this thread http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/t/19542326.aspx here) have had this since purchase - Good luck!

May 8th, 2014 18:00

I am running Windows 7. Is that why I cannot find Stereo Mix in the Dell Audio panel?

May 8th, 2014 18:00

Yes, I am still having this problem after moving the wireless. I will try your suggestion by clicking Mute on the Stereo Mix in the Dell Audio panel. Thanks. I will post the result.

23 Posts

May 8th, 2014 19:00

I'm running windows 7 also.  Try looking at the lower right hand corner to the left of the clock/date and look for a small white triangle.  Left click on it once and it should pop up a small box containing icons of running apps such as your printer, bluetooth, etc.  Look for a speaker tilted on it's side and double left click on it.  This should bring up the Dell Audio and in the middle portion of the screen you'll see sliders and at the end of the sliders will be mute boxes.  Try moving the sliders and muting the various inputs to see what works for you.  I turned off the enhancement and that quelled the feedback (but still occurs much less), and I muted the stereo mix, and that stopped the drumming.  It maybe different for you, but hopefully this helps.

This is NOT a fix, I wish Dell would address this but so far I've had no luck with their call center.  I still have problems where sounds come out of one set of speakers, the mobo speaker, an aux sound card I have with no rhyme or reason.  I don't know if this is related to the USB 3.0 problem I've had or the issue I have with my desktop hibernating despite what my settings do, but maybe this can help make it managable - good luck!

July 6th, 2016 19:00

I had the problem and I thought was the hard drive. Thanks God I have read this post. You save me a lot of $$$ It works for me Thanks

No Events found!