Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 16th, 2015 13:00

What is and how to use the 6-pin dell proprietary connector

I have a Dell Optiplex GX280 minitower computer with a dell power supply of 250W. I can't figure it out what good is it for or how to use (extra adapters or something) this 6-pin dell proprietary connector. Can't find any reliable info about it, maybe you can help me with this one? Just in case I attached a picture to make myself clear.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 16th, 2015 14:00

Mini-Tower (page 112) Power Supply DC Connector Pin Assignments:

DC Power Connector P4

Pin Number

Signal Name

18-AWG Wire

N/C

COM

Black

COM

Black

+3.3 VDC

Orange

+5 VDC

Red

+12 VDC

Yellow

5 Posts

April 17th, 2015 08:00

Thank you for your answer. I kind of got the picture but since I am no expert I still have no idea how to connect, if possible (maybe there are some adapters available), that DC Power Connector P4 to anything, maybe some USB hub or whatever. I suppose it is better to just leave it be, and use the standard connectors provided by the power supply.

And I don't understand why they named it "DC Power Connector P4" instead of P6 or P5 because it actually has more than 4 pins. Anyway, I suppose I better mark your reply as a answer to my question, and maybe in the future I'll try to get in touch face to face with a computer engineer who can explain this issue to me with more details.

Thanks again, and all the best!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 17th, 2015 10:00

You're welcome...

But what's in a name? If they named this one P6, instead of P4, then if the one originally named P6 has 20 connectors, should they name it P20?  Besides, if you look the PSU connectors for the other form factor versions of this  system, your P4 is named differently in those. DUH!

Not exactly sure what your P4 would connect to. Most add-in components have keyed connectors so they shouldn't connect to P4 if it's not the right connector for that bit of hardware.

No Events found!