Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2014 16:00

What monitor cable do I need?

I am trying to install my monitor with an older dell computer my friend gave me.

When I boot it up I get the error message:

This computer has an add in graphics card, but the monitor cable is plugged into the integrated video connector. To attach the monitor cable to the add-in graphics card:
1. Shut down the computer
2. Plug the monitor cable into the add-in graphics card connector. This may require a video adapter or video adapter cable.
3. Turn on the computer

I just spent an hour or so looking for the cable I might need for this but could not find one that matched. The back of the computer other than the VGA which does not work.

Here is the port on the back of the PC:

Displaying photo.JPG

And here is the port on the monitor:

Displaying photo.JPG 

Any idea what kind of cord or adapter I need? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Been searching for hours! Thank you!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 8th, 2014 19:00

Can't see your photos...

Exactly what model PC is this?

What input ports does the monitor have? VGA, DVI, DisplayPort, or HDMI?

VGA Port

The add-in video card might have a mix of VGA, DVI, DisplayPort or HDMI outputs, depending on how old it is.

If the monitor only has VGA input and the card has DVI-i output, you need an inexpensive DVI>VGA adaptor. If the card has DVI-d, it won't support VGA.

If the monitor and video card both have DVI, then you only need a simple DVI cable.

2 Posts

August 9th, 2014 09:00

It is a Dell Optimplex 740. The monitor has the DVI-D port but the computer has something completely different in addition to the VGA port. Perhaps it is not a monitor port at all, and something compeltely different?

Would you say that a VGA to DVI-D cable would solve the issue? 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 9th, 2014 18:00

Not sure what port you're looking at. Where is that "different" port? We need to know if this system has an add-in video card or only uses on-board video. 

The OptiPlex 740 mini-tower, desktop, and small form all seem to have the same on-board rear panel connectors according to the manual, and on-board VGA connector is #8 in this figure. There are no other video output ports on this panel, so if the port you're talking about is on this panel, it's not a video port.

The PC's form factor determines where connectors for an add-in video card will be, assuming a card is installed. So look in the manual to see where the card would be located based on the form factor.

The on-board VGA port cannot be used directly with a DVI-D monitor. The VGA signal is analog but the DVI-D signal is digital. So a simple adaptor cable won't work. You'd need a VGA>DVD CONVERTER. And be aware that not all VGA>DVI converters work with DVI-D so you have to be sure to get one that outputs to DVI-D.

If you currently only have on-board VGA video, it might be easier / better to install an add-in video card that supports a DVI-D monitor.

1 Message

March 29th, 2016 22:00

My Dell Optiplex 740 windows xp has its original avg monitor, original fem/fem avg cord, and ONLY the connections shown in the photo above. it use to work fine but now it is saying the same error message as above.... attention: unexpected video configuration. action is required..... bla bla bla." i HAVE NO add in card and i have ONLY the hookups in the pic above, so why am i getting this message and how do i fix it? please help!!!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 30th, 2016 12:00

You do have an add in card.  It has an LFH connector. Or you have a NON Video card in the X16 slot. Which is not allowed.

You need a Dell G9438 cable.  Its not a splitter its a dual link DVI or VGA setup.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-DMS-59-Splitter-Monitor-Adapter/dp/B003EHCPWM

No Events found!