Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2014 13:00

Which RAM do I need?

I have a Dell Optiplex 745 SFF with 2 x 1GB RAM, I want to add another 2 x 1GB RAM to bring it up to 4GB to run Win7 Pro 64-bit.  I ordered some RAM off the internet but when I tried to fit the RAM the modules look like they are about double the height of what I currently have fitted.  They look like "normal" height RAM modules that you find in tower desktops.  I think because of the smaller space the SFF model seems to need a smaller height (looks like same length) RAM module.  There is physically not enough space to fit the "normal" height RAM modules.

Does anyone know the exact type of RAM module I need to fit in a Dell Optiplex 745 SFF?

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

January 14th, 2014 11:00

If normal height modules fit and you can safely reroute those cables out of the way, I don't see why you couldn't use them..

KTD-DM8400B/1G RAM is rated by Kingston as being compatible with the Octiplex 745, so if there isn't a huge price difference, you could buy just more of the same low height stuff.  But get it from somewhere that will give you a full refund if there are any issues. :emotion-5:

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

January 13th, 2014 14:00

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

January 13th, 2014 14:00

Sure don't you have the Ultra Small Form Factor instead of the Small Form Factor 745? 

Crucial has RAM for the MT and SFF here, and USFF here.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 13th, 2014 15:00

Ron,

You beat me to the answer, this time. LOL  

Bev.

4 Posts

Its definitely a SFF; the USFF is a different size and design.  I found the spec sheet on Dell Support.  I measured it just to make sure it wasn't the Desktop model.   The RAM modules on the Crucial site seem like the ones I ordered but can't now fit.  Is it the case that the Dell 745 - MT, Desktop and SFF - are all supposed to take the same size RAM?  There doesn't seem to be enough space for the SFF to accommodate MT size RAM modules?

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

Crucial is showing the same part numbers for the MT and SFF, so they have to be identical modules.

You said height is the problem in your system. So what's above the modules that might interfere with them?

Are you sure that when you push them down fully into their slots they won't be the same height as the existing modules?

Maybe you could pull one of the existing ones and compare the height to the new ones?

4 Posts

January 14th, 2014 04:00

The unit came with a floppy drive and a DVD drive, the connector cables for which are wedged in where the RAM slots are.  I've opened up another 745 and a  755 and both look a bit different and both have "normal height" full size memory modules.  The PC was bought about 2 years ago from a firm who are no longer there, I just wonder if they just put in some other (laptop?) RAM.  The PC itself has been faultless, would it work if a laptop or other type of RAM module was fitted?

I took out the RAM module and it measures 134mm x 18mm, a "normal height" RAM module is 134mm x 31mm.  The writing on the RAM says

Kingston
Part Number KTD-DM8400B/1G
9905431-004.AD0LF
7ALV0-Q9YMYF-WWRR8

Anyone know what type of RAM module it is?

Do I need to get the same RAM modules or can I put different ("normal height") RAM modules in the two empty slots?

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

January 15th, 2014 15:00

OK. Good luck with the Kingston RAM. Post back and let us know how it goes...

4 Posts

January 15th, 2014 15:00

Thanks, yes the low profile Kingston RAM are a bit more pricey but it seems a safer option to stick with the same modules.

No Events found!