Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2015 02:00

Why Can't I enter CMOS Setup Utility?

Hi everyone,

Whenever I startup my computer, it comes up with the error "Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure." I know how to fix it but can't enter the CMOS Setup Utility to do so. I have replaced the old motherboard with a new one to see if that would make any difference  (Same motherboard but replacement motherboard) and it didn't. I can press F2 and it will say in the bottom left corner, "Entering Setup" but after that it comes up with a blue screen on my monitor which says not support and then a blank screen for ages and nothing happens. I've cleared my CMOS, Changed the motherboard so I've technically replaced the battery. Could it be my monitor perhaps and that isn't showing the CMOS Setup when it actually is on screen or could it potentially be something else? Thanks for any replies!

Eyemsik999 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 25th, 2015 14:00

The screen is usually saying does not support VESA Mode 103.  This is the case for many Sapphire Radeon R7 R9 series.  You need an Nvidia card To get into F2 setup because the card even in CSM Legacy mode DOES NOT SUPPORT DOS VESA video modes that the bios needs.   An older Geforce or Radeon HD4xxx, 3xxx, 2xxx will work but newer cards on the Radeon side won't until they start supporting DOS VESA extensions in CSM BIOS mode.  This error manifests itself even on NON UEFI bios like the Optiplex and Precision series from 2007. My solution to this issue was to return the Radeon Card because Sapphire says they dont and wont support DOS VESA video modes.  Using an ASUS Geforce GT 740 solved my problem.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 25th, 2015 04:00

Hi Eyemsik999,

What model?

3 Posts

June 13th, 2015 07:00

Thank you for your reply, it does appear that my graphics card is an Asus Radeon 5450 so it doesn't support DOS VESA extensions, I will try downgrading to a Radeon 4x or getting another Nvidia card that does support DOS VESA! Thanks

3 Posts

October 6th, 2015 10:00

Turns out that it was my monitor that was the problem in the end, so I replaced that and now the bios works perfectly! Thanks everyone who replied to this post! :)

No Events found!