Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 28th, 2016 00:00

Wifi problems with Windows 10

I have a new Dell Inspiron 3650 i5 preloaded with Windows 10 (which I like).

However, following a recent update the Wifi keeps fading, disappearing all together and when the Desktop is turned on it regularly cannot connect at all and cannot find any Wifi networks to connect to at all. If I leave it running it eventually connects, but still fades in  and out making internet surfing erratic and email downloads lock out frequently. I know its not the Wifi router because I have my trusty old Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 7 sitting on the desk next to the Desktop and its Wifi connection is absolutely fine and sound. I have tried unticking the power saver option as mentioned on some Windows 10 forums but it makes no difference. I also notice that my Google link no longer works (moved away from Edge as I couldn't stand the adverts / news feed. Can someone help me as W10 came with the system so Dell must be aware of the issue?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 6th, 2016 19:00

Open Device Manager and double-click the entry for your WiFi card. Then click the Power Management tab. UNcheck the box "Allow PC to turn off..."

Then open the Windows Power plan options screen. Select the currently used power plan and then click the link to change its settings. On next screen, click the Advanced options link.

Find the WiFi options in list at left and make sure it's set to Max Performance.  Save the change to the power plan and reboot. See if that helps.

If the problem continues, you may also have to go back to the Power plan and on the Advanced settings screen under PCI Express, disable Link State Power Management.

3 Posts

June 7th, 2016 00:00

Took a screen shot for you.

3 Posts

June 6th, 2016 17:00

I just bought the same computer and am having similar issues. I haven't been on long enough to see the signal fading. My desktop is about 4 feet away from my wireless router and all of my other computers are not having issues. Every time I have powered up the computer I have to go all the way through resetting my wireless router. It is time consuming and very disruptive to the other computers in my home.

I am looking at driver updates and anything I can find to address this issue. I hope someone has the answer. If I figure it out, I will post the solution.

Very frustrating for an otherwise very good computer.

3 Posts

June 6th, 2016 21:00

ROHE thanks. That is part of the answer for the issue I had.

The other part of the solution is the driver for the WiFi adaptor. I contacted Dell support and the tech went to Dell driver support and downloaded/installed Network_Driver_114JK_WN32_10.0.1.0_A00.EXE. It appeared to reinstall the driver. First time rebooted it came back up with no issues. Maybe the pre-install was no good. After that, we checked the power settings like you recommended and they had to be changed.

Everything appears to be great now! 

June 6th, 2016 23:00

Sorry, don't seem to have a Power Plan Options screen. 

I have got so fed up with this issue that I have ordered 30m of Ethernet cable, to see if that works.

I adjusted the settings to 'forget' the wifi connection and now have to 'find' an internet connection each time I start the computer up. It is the only way of securing a permenant wifi connection, even though my old laptop - sitting on the desk in front of me unused can get a perfectly good signal.

I can also no longer use Google as a search engine - Microsoft have a lot to answer for.

Please advise where Power plan option screen is.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 7th, 2016 11:00

In Win 10, right-click the Start button and in the Search box type: Power Options

Select Power Options from the search results and select the current Power plan...

If you're going to switch to wired Ethernet, you should set the WiFi card to DISabled in Device Manager. And then run the Network Setup wizard to create a wired network.

June 12th, 2016 02:00

I have resolved this problem by attaching a 30m ethernet cable. Connection is now wonderful.

I have wasted so much time on this. Microsoft ought to be made to pay for all the disruption they cause with their updates. I

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 12th, 2016 12:00

Microsoft ought to be made to pay for all the disruption they cause with their updates. I

Loud and clear! :emotion-5:

Glad the Ethernet connection is working for you.

1 Message

August 24th, 2016 05:00

the one question I have is the setting to Max Performance you are talking about?? where is this, and how do I set this up??

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 24th, 2016 14:00

the one question I have is the setting to Max Performance you are talking about?? where is this, and how do I set this up??

Always include PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

Open the Power options screen in Windows. Select the current Power plan and click the link to change settings. On next screen, click the Advanced Options link.

When that screen opens, click Wireless (or WiFi) in list at left and set to Max Performance.  Save the change, exit and reboot.

NOTE: These directions may not be exact because I don't know what version of Windows you're using...

No Events found!