Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 24th, 2009 15:00

Windows 7 slow at start up!

I bought a new laptop from dell, and my computer is very slow! Can someone help me out? What programs can I shut down?

Thanks!

Mike

468 Posts

Hello!  Windows 7 contains many programs that you may not need. What I would do is go to the programs and settings menu in the control panel (aka add/remove programs) and select add/remove windows components (might not be the exact wording, im not on my home machine) and then de-select everything but the games (unless you dont need them) and windows media components (unless you dont need them either).  The rest of the stuff I personally never use and generally unless you have a specific setup requiring them, you can remove them.  Also uninstall all programs from the normal programs menu that you dont need or want (bloatware etc.). 

Next go to my computer, right click on your hard drive and select one of the tabs that allows you for disk cleanup.  It will scan for old and unused files you dont need and will delete them. (again sorry i'm not at my windows 7 machine to give you the direct tab name).  You can also uncheck index drive if you dont need or want super fast indexing of your files.

Another thing to do also once you are done updating your computer and removing stuff you dont need is to defrag your computer.  In the same menu as the disk cleanup and indexing, there is an option to defrag your computer.  this allows windows to put files all together in one spot and optimize their location depending on how often they are accessed.  This may take some time so plan on at least 30 min wait, depending on how fast your computer hardware is.

Also, if you have a hard time finding everything, you can access the help function of windows 7 and select performance.  There is a whole list of performance shortcuts that will allow you to take care of all the functions listed above as well.

3.4K Posts

Hello,

It would help a lot to know what system you have. And could you give a list of the programs that are starting with Windows?

3.4K Posts

November 24th, 2009 16:00

... However, I do have a lot of programs starting up then there needs to be. ...

Mike,

I'm pretty sure that you find that some if not most of the programs causing your slowdown issue were installed by Dell, and are not part of the Windows 7 install. :emotion-15:

Hi:

I thought windows 7 was supposed to be faster then Vista, it turns out that Vista is a lot faster! Wow I guess Microsoft did not think everything though this time around either. However, I do have a lot of programs starting up then there needs to be. I will get back with you on the list of programs I have running!

Thanks for the response.

Mike

3.4K Posts

Hello again,

I do not suggest uninstalling anything at this point.

But you can prevent items from starting. Run MSCONFIG from the search box. Go to the startup tab and you can uncheck whatever you like. Everything is still installed and ready to go but unchecked items will not start. If you find an unchecked item causes an issue, just go back and recheck it.

Disclaimer: I have not yet installed Windows 7, but my understanding is that MSCONFIG is still a valid option and works the same in Windows 7 as it does in XP.

Hello:

I shut down all media files and much faster start up!

Thanks for your answers.

MIKE

3.4K Posts

This page will help in using MSCONFIG in Windows 7.

It will still help if the original poster provides and list of programs that are starting with Windows.

No Events found!