Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2012 10:00

Windows 8

Hi.   Just wanted to know if there is anyone experiencing the new Windows 8 yet and how is it?  I just bought a new computer and am able to upgrade to the new Windows 8 but wanted some feedback on this new Window 8 before doing so.  To find out how it is and if it is better then windows 7 and if it's a good choice to upgrade.  Always worried about new things so try to get some feedback from people and see what they say about it first.  Thanks for any comments.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 12th, 2012 12:00

I have it and I hate it absolutely.

You can still get a preview version until Oct 30?

Windows 8 Release Preview

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/release-preview

ISO images

An ISO image must be converted into installation media stored on a DVD or a USB flash drive. Instructions are provided on this page. Developer tools are available for download from Windows Dev Center.

Important: If you decide to go back to your previous operating system, you'll need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC, which is typically DVD media. If you don’t have recovery media, you might be able to create it from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer’s website for more information. After you install Windows 8, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

English

64-bit (x64)                    Download (3.3 GB)                    Sha 1 hash — 0xD76AD96773615E8C504F63564AF749469CFCCD57

32-bit (x86)                    Download (2.5 GB)                    Sha 1 hash — 0x8BED436F0959E7120A44BF7C29FF0AA962BDEFC9

Product Key:   TK8TP-9JN6P-7X7WW-RFFTV-B7QPF

System Requirements

Windows 8 Release Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows 7:

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

• RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

• Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

• Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

Additional requirements to use certain features:

• To use touch, you need a tablet or a monitor that supports multitouch.

• To access the Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768.

• To snap apps, you need a screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768.

• Internet access (ISP fees might apply)

How to install Windows 8 Release Preview from an ISO image

The easiest way to convert an ISO file to a DVD in Windows 7 is to use Windows Disc Image Burner. On a PC running Windows XP or Windows Vista, a third-party program is required to convert an ISO file into installable media—and DVD burning software often includes this capability. One option is the USB/DVD download tool provided by the Microsoft Store.

Windows

3.7K Posts

There is a win 8 helpful link HERE. But if your getting the upgrade cheap, grab it. It still early days yet, but I prefer win 7, don't like that metro.

3.7K Posts

Robin - I don't thnk your link is available to the general public because it's in the RS forum, but you do type faster than I do!

EDIT: That same info is available at the link in my post.

Your right, was not thinking, brain a bit slow tonight.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Read this and this :emotion-5:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Robin - I don't thnk your link is available to the general public because it's in the RS forum, but you do type faster than I do!

EDIT: That same info is available at the link in my post.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

But fingers are fast!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 12th, 2012 13:00

Everything is moving to touch-screens and tablets so that's why they need Win 8.

347 Posts

October 12th, 2012 13:00

From what I'm reading I don't think I want it either.  There seems to be so many complications and errors and things happening that shouldn't.  That isn't good so why did they come out with this windows 8 then?  It should be better then windows 7 don't you think?  Not worse, doesn't make any sense.

445 Posts

October 12th, 2012 17:00

My neighbors son downloaded the trial version of Windows 8. After seeing and playing around with it I bought a  new computer before they starting shipping computers with Windows 8. I was due a new computer anyway.

It may be alright for a touch screen, but to me not for a regular computer. The kid removed it and went back to Windows 7.

He is only 18 so it's not just us old toads that don't like it.

My new computer came with a $15.00 upgrade to Windows 8 and none of my friends or family want it.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 12th, 2012 20:00

I've been using it since the end of July, and while it may be appropriate for tablets and touchscreens, it's a step back for desktops.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 12th, 2012 20:00

I've been using it since the end of July, and while it may be appropriate for tablets and touchscreens, it's a step back for desktops.

i agree, that it's a 'step back for desktops'.

Ran Windows 8 on a desktop for couple of months, then reverted back to Win 7.

Bev.

edit,

Now have a desktop running Window 8 Professional, guess now I will have to adapt to it.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 14:00

Add Windows Media Center to Windows 8 so you can watch and record live TV.

windows.microsoft.com/.../feature-packs

* Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013, and is limited to five licenses per customer per promotion. To install Windows 8 Pro Pack, you must be running Windows 8. Internet access fees may apply. Prices shown are estimated retail prices; actual price may vary by retailer. If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8 Media Center Pack, a volume license edition, or a retail edition, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store. Get the full details on our special offers.

** Windows 8 Media Center Pack is available at no charge for a limited time only through this promotional page on Windows.com. If you obtain Windows 8 Media Center Pack through any other location fees might apply. Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013, and is limited to one product key per email address. You qualify for this promotion if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro. Additional hardware may be required to watch and record live TV. You must provide a valid email address to receive your Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key. Your product key must be activated no later than January 31, 2013. Microsoft will only contact you at the email address you provide to send you your product key and to remind you when the activation period for your product key is ending. Catalysis Corporation is a third-party company we use to collect subscription information and process the delivery of these emails. If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8 Media Center Pack, a volume license edition, or a retail edition, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store. Get the full details on our special offers.

12 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 14:00

installed it, every thing runs pretty sweet, only thing i have an issue with is DELL items, they dont seem to see windows8, The "Quick set" no longer works right, i went on their site to install new drivers but their system scan only sees windows7, then it tries to install and tells me that i should upgrade my OS to windows 7.. it also offered me a free health check, so i ran it.. basically it found every difference in the registry from Win 7 to Win 8 and said they needed fixing.. i ignored it all as i thought it would break the OS. Simply put DELL do not seem to be supporting Win8 on anything older than 12months, my Laptop is an XPS l501, built in April2011 its more than capable of running win8 fine but all the Dell stuff thinks im out of date.. HAHA.. and then their website is so annoying and frustrating to get help on that you just want to cry..  and since im out of warranty it seems i cant access new drivers for some reason..

i did manage to download new Win7 driver for the Dell quickset but it wont let me run it (its an .exe) cos it thinks my system is out of date and i need to install win7.. so now i have a great laptop that has some nice lights that used to be helpful buttons that now do nothing.. thats the only issue i have,,, DELL!!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 15:00

Always use the "single file" download option.  The Download Manager is a buggy piece of junk. :emotion-5:

12 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 15:00

**EDIT**  uninstalled Quickset, then installed the WIN7-64bit as a single file download (rather than using the dell DL manager) this ran the install ok and now it works..

No Events found!