Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2012 10:00

Windows 8

Hi.   Just wanted to know if there is anyone experiencing the new Windows 8 yet and how is it?  I just bought a new computer and am able to upgrade to the new Windows 8 but wanted some feedback on this new Window 8 before doing so.  To find out how it is and if it is better then windows 7 and if it's a good choice to upgrade.  Always worried about new things so try to get some feedback from people and see what they say about it first.  Thanks for any comments.

3 Posts

January 28th, 2013 15:00

I had to buy a new computer as mine had crashed. The one I purchased came with Windows 8. I absolutely HATE it! I feel totally computer illiterate and if I could return it I would! I do not recommend Windows 8 at all!

445 Posts

January 28th, 2013 15:00

Your thoughts are what I hear from everyone I know that has Windows 8 on their computers. They hate it. A friend of mine has to try everything new that comes out and put Windows 8 on his HP computer. He tried it for a couple weeks, formatted the hard drive and put Windows 7 back on it. My son on the other hand has a windows cell phone and really likes it. I think touch screen was what it was designed for.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 28th, 2013 16:00

lynne4270

I purchased two upgrade copies of Windows 8 Professional, installed one on a desktop and been running it for several months with only a couple of small issues.

Check out Start 8, this installs the Windows 7 start menu and may make Win 8 easier to use.

Bev. 

3 Posts

January 28th, 2013 17:00

Thanks for the suggestions! I will certainly check them out!

445 Posts

January 28th, 2013 17:00

I guess my problem with Windows 8 other than what I have been told is. I started with Windows 3.1 and have had every version since. Windows 8 is such a difference from the others. In the next couple months I will have to buy a new laptop so like it or not I will be using Windows 8. I know from what I have been told, the start button was a big issue. Maybe in the next couple months some add-ons will come out to take care of the complaints.

12 Posts

January 29th, 2013 11:00

Do it, dont be scared of change, take the time to go through the new OS and see that it offers much more than just being a boring place where you launch programs from. It offers so much more in terms of easy of access to information and live news, data, communication, social networking and email.. i really like, so glad i made the leap

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Download Start 8 and Firefox for Windows Desktop.  Start 8 is not free.  

Then get flash and Java and the directx June 2010 patch.

I hate windows 8 but with start 8 and Firefox its livable.

I started out with CPM then MSDOS 1.0 to 6.22

Windows 1.0 to 3.11 for workgroups.

Then Windows 95 and Windows NT 3.1 then 3.51 then 4.0

Then Windows 98 then ME then 2000 then XP.

Hated Vista until Service pack 2 stability.

Windows 7 definitely needs Service pack 1 for stability

Windoes 8 just released and already has issues.

12 Posts

I had to buy a new computer as mine had crashed. The one I purchased came with Windows 8. I absolutely HATE it! I feel totally computer illiterate and if I could return it I would! I do not recommend Windows 8 at all!

really? i find windows 8 simple and easy, it dose everything win7 did and has a much simpler UI, its so simple that my my 84 year old nan gets it, she likes the fact that she just clicks email rather than having to open a browser, log in, for each account, she likes the App style activity of win8 and i have to agree it makes things so much faster to access and use. it takes a little bit of getting over the loss of the start menu but once you realise you can just press the windows key to go back to metro from the desktop or that the corners of the screens activate helpful menus that you would not use every day i find it to be a good, powerful and smart os. Live tiles are brilliant and great for having all the info in one place.. i would easily peg this as the best os`s i have ever used for an every day home user. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 29th, 2013 12:00

Start 8 is not free but it helps.  Then get Firefox for Desktop and Java and Flash etc.

Start8™ for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu

www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Firefox Nightly Builds

nightly.mozilla.org/

347 Posts

January 29th, 2013 14:00

I'm not scared of change but I think I'm going to wait until I get a touch screen, I think it will be so much easier to use Windows 8 with that.  I've heard so much stuff about Windows 8, it's really not helping at all.  So I will probably end up waiting till I get a touch screen and by then who knows I'm sure another windows will be available.  I don't understand why they would make a windows (Windows 8) which really should be used with a touch screen.  If you have a regular desktop you end up having to download all kinds of things just so you can navigate through things.

12 Posts

January 29th, 2013 15:00

I have not downloaded any add on`s and i find it easy to navigate with mouse or track pad, the Roller button on the mouse slides the tiles along so its quite easy. i can see the idea of a touch screen but its really not a big requirement of the OS. i think there is a lot of negative press because people are just stuck without the start button.. well Macs dont have one or linux so must windows have one?. I think its a fear of new to be honest. not saying with you but in general. I have added nothing to my OS to change the way it operates to make it more or less like another OS. If you can install a copy, you get 30 days to trial it i think, you can always ask the Windows peeps on twitter about that. The thing is, if you open it up and sit there moaning at your screen that its not windows 7 then you are asking for trouble, you are hating on it for the want to moan. i dont buy a new car and moan about it not being like my old one. it is the same as windows 7 with the exception of missing a start menu and having the tiles. All the tiles are, is a great big start menu but with live feeds. Added bonuses.. you can slide apps to mini side screens and navigate between them and say the desktop, i have nothing i cant install that i used on win7. its faster to boot, operate, its smarter at logging in and it keeps you in all your blogs and sites, if you wish it too. honestly i can not recommend trialling it enough. People hate everything,.. if there was a forum asking about the ipad it would be mostly people moaning when its clear that its great as it sells units like there is no tomorrow. Get it while its cheap cos the price goes back from £25 to £120 at the end of Jan, where as now Pro is cheap.  Even if you dont want to install it.. it could be worth getting a licence.. but really play with it, make up your own mind. its simple and great and fresh..  good luck

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 1st, 2013 14:00

I disagree.  The  Black Apple Icon in the top left corner is like the start menu.  And Macs dont Hide everything behind a screen full of playschool Icons or Pop Up the Playschool Metro interface at every opportunity.

The dock at the bottom is easily used and understood on a mac.

12 Posts

February 1st, 2013 16:00

play school.. haha, its the same concept on all MS systems now, Phone, xbox, tablet and win8, a good move to make it universal.. so Mac has the tiny black apple and a dock, well win 8 still has the dock on the desk top (task bar i guess) and the menus are just hidden in the corners. i think beople hate on it cos its fashionable to hate windows.. but the reasons people give are always so basic and childish. it used to be that it crashed or froze or took years to load.. but since none of that happens on an hourly basis any more.. people dis the most point less things..  

347 Posts

February 1st, 2013 17:00

Hi and thank you for your input on this.  I have purchased my upgrade to windows 8 and hope it's everything your saying and am anxious to use it.  I read that before installing this upgrade that I should ask if my computer is able to upgrade to this or do I have to install any drivers?  I just bought this computer in September of 2012 and was told I am eligible for the windows 8 upgrade when it becomes available.  I have a Inspirion 660s Fast Track 0205.  Do you or anyone know if this is okay to do the upgrade to windows 8 as it is or do I need to download any drivers or anything else or should everything be ready for the windows 8?  I don't want to download the upgrade unless I'm sure that everything is fine.  Also, I have a lot of programs I bought for windows 7 and was wondering if all those programs are going to work on windows 8?  I hate to not be able to use these programs as I have paid for them.  Please let me know anything you have on all this before I download to windows 8.  Thank you.

347 Posts

February 2nd, 2013 04:00

Hi Ben500 and thank you for your input on this.  I have heard so many negative things about window 8.  Some people say that I have to install all kinds of things just to use it, is this true?  I just bought a new Dell in September and am eligible for the ugrade to windows 8 so I don't think I need to worry about having to install any drivers when I upgrade to windows 8 do I?  People are also saying that it's only good for touch screens.  I have my installation code to install the windows 8 upgrade but want to make sure that my programs I have now which I paid for everything will work on windows 8 because I'm hearing a lot of people say they don't and end up going back to windows 7.  I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing in purchasing this upgrade and don't know much about whether I have to install this or that to make it all work.  Please let me know your opinion on all this and thank you again for your support.

No Events found!