Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 3rd, 2001 13:00

Worldnet.att.net

Has anyone had anyexperince using this provider?
The pop up advertising is driving me nuts. Any help on stopping this?
Thanks Spnblade@worldnet.att.net

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

June 3rd, 2001 15:00

Try AdSubtract SE, a freeware pop-up (and other irritants) blocker from here.

" target=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/Links/4148/Island1.gif">

" target=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/Links/4148/Island2.gif">

" target=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/Links/4148/Island3.gif">

Sorry, your browser doesn't support Java.

Want to make a hyperlink in your post, want to add a graphic or sound file, need to troubleshoot a non-working Java applet, want to build an attractive signature? These capabilities can be yours if you visit Denny's DellT@lk Tutorials.
For help in deciding what can be eliminated from your Startup list, take a look here.
Want to get rid of Network Neighborhood, change your Registered Owner name? Check out the little utilities at Delltalk Tweekz.
Ready to sign up for Web server space? Want to learn FTP? Visit Web Presence for Beginners.

153 Posts

June 3rd, 2001 15:00

I used AT&T for several years before making the leap to broadband (also AT&T) with no problems. I often recommend it to friends in need of a new dial-up service provider.
I never encountered any issues with popup ads outside of the usual ones I still encounter today! Popups are generally associated with specific sites. There are certain sites I go to using Netscape rather than IE because it seems more resistant to constant popups.
I know there are programs available on ZDNET.COM and other sites that act as a firewall for ads, cookies and such, but I've never tried any of these so I'm not the person to recommend any of these.
Good luck, Ed

153 Posts

June 3rd, 2001 16:00

Thanks Denny.
I'll give it a try too.
Ed

312 Posts

June 3rd, 2001 17:00

I looked into Worldnet when it advertised $4.95 ISP service. The fine-print clearly specified that popups and banner-advertising would be an intregal part of that service. It also stated that if a user attempted to defeat the "att cookie" it would void the $4.95 end-user agreement. I believe Att offers a premium service which avoids most of the above; yet, Mr. Denham's suggestion would prove helpful.

Xley

153 Posts

June 3rd, 2001 18:00

That must be it. I never used the $4.95 service, I always paid the extra for unlimited connection time, and must have escaped the popups that way. Thanks for the info Xley! Ed

58 Posts

June 3rd, 2001 19:00

Thanks, guess I failed to read the "fine print". Guess I'll stay with the cheap format and get use to the "popups"
Thanx again
Spnblade

56 Posts

June 7th, 2001 03:00

I have DSL, but have kept Worldnet for the past three years, because they give a generous amount of web space for each person. Also, my children use it, and I've never had any problems with it going down, etc. I pay $14.95 a month for it, and that's for 150 hours a month (without any pop-up advertising).

As for the pop-ups on other sites on the internet, I've been using the Pop Up Killer. It's free and it works great! I used to avoid going to certain sites...like those on Fortune City, but now it doesn't matter. You can get this utility here. Sandy

No Events found!