Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 11th, 2015 09:00

XPS 2710 (mid 2012) and Windows 10

Will the 2710 be approved for windows 10?  I receive a message every morning that windows 10 install "failed" - Is this normal?

8 Posts

August 17th, 2015 17:00

Hold down the power button until the system shuts completely off.  Reboot.  You may have to do this a few times.  Eventually you will get a login screen.  Once you are up, immediately update your NVIDIA graphics card driver from the NVIDIA web site to the Windows 10 version.

I have now updated three 2710's and everything is running great.

6 Posts

August 22nd, 2015 12:00

Jay,

Every couple of months I'll do the Dell, NVIDIA, Realtek, Intel, etc. OEM websites visit to check on current drivers.  I think I updated my graphic card (GT640) maybe and the Realtek drivers.  My BIOS was already at A12 (08-27-13).  I would not be surprised if your system would go through without any issues - someone else may correct me though.

Good luck - I really like the new windows... 

8 Posts

August 22nd, 2015 15:00

Maybe this will help prove it .. If you make sure you have all the updates loaded (most current drivers), especially the NVIDIA one, the upgrade goes quite smoothly.

13 Posts

August 14th, 2015 09:00

I have a 2710 and a 2720.  It seems Dell does not care about those who bought a 2710 from them.  I have called support twice and they know nothing.  If the 2710 is not going to be supported in win10 at least Dell can own up to this.  If it is, then they should give a target date.  Further, Dell has not listed win10 on many of its new computers as a shipping option, only that the computer can be updated to win10.  How can a major manufacturer not be ready on day one for a major software release especially one has have received raved reviews.  Bp

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 14th, 2015 11:00

The XPS 2720 is on Dell's list of systems qualified for upgrade to Win 10 but the 2710 isn't on the list so it doesn't meet all the requirements for upgrading. So there's your answer in B/W. I have no way to know why the 2710 isn't qualified but it probably has a hardware conflict of some sort.  

As for selling systems capable of being upgraded, they probably have inventory of systems that were built before Win 10 was officially released and so have Win 8.1 installed.

There have been a number of posts on these forums about models already coming with Win 10 factory-installed... 

13 Posts

August 14th, 2015 13:00

There is a post of someone who upgraded successfully, but he had to reinstall some drivers.  The 2710 meets all of the hardware requirements, but perhaps a driver needs updating.  So, I would like to know from Dell if they plan on doing whatever software wise that is necessary like they did with win 8.1 for the 2710.   It would be nice that Dell would tells us what they plan on doing for this system...bp

11 Posts

August 15th, 2015 08:00

I bought my xps 2710 2 years ago with it described as future proof! it is still under warranty but cant be upgraded to windows 10, i've emailed dell twice now with no reply to see if this is going to be changed. I cant afford another £1000 pc to keep upto date. How is this correct when i have friends with older machines that can upgrade. Dell could at least contact me back even though i know im a nobody to them really.

8 Posts

August 15th, 2015 08:00

I have the exact same experience.  Bought the machine 2 years ago.  Can't upgrade to Windows 10.  I have also emailed Dell twice without any response from them.  My older Lenovo laptop and my Microsoft Surface both upgraded right away.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 15th, 2015 10:00

Try posting this in the Windows 10 forum here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997

Bev.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 15th, 2015 10:00

Unfortunately, Dell is only going to provide Windows 10 Drivers and Support for the systems on this list. The XPS One 2710 is not on the list. We do not know what hardware or driver issues you may face with Windows 10.

Some users have successfully installed Windows 10 on non-supported systems using Windows 7/8/8.1 drivers for the components that did not function in Windows 10. Please note, this was done at their own risk and Dell cannot provide support on systems not listed as compatible.

11 Posts

August 15th, 2015 11:00

My windows 10 app is now saying my pc is waiting for some critical drivers from intel before windows 10 will work. I really cant understand how a company can sell me a fairly high end machine and then tell me 2 years later it wont work with the latest software. This was a huge investment for me and now i am starting to understand why my brother recommended apple.

8 Posts

August 15th, 2015 13:00

I decided to take the chance and attempt the update. I simply used their upgrade tool from Microsoft, sat back and waited, and in about 40 minutes, I had a login screen. I’ve been running it for an hour now with absolutely no issues…

11 Posts

August 15th, 2015 16:00

Out of interest as i still have the advert saying this machine was 'future proof' when i bought it only 2 years ago, so its not exactly antique! Where do i stand legally for a refund if dell cant be bothered to update it for windows 10. So i don't own a multi national company therefore customer services goes out of the window.

Thanks dell.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 15th, 2015 17:00

millsy77

FYI, I upgraded a Inspiron 530 MT, I purchased 8 years ago, from Windows 7 to Win-10 with only one issue, that was the graphics card driver, probably due to the fact the Nvidia card was an upgrade, installed by me, after the one Dell supplied failed.

Did not use the ISO download for the upgrade, but use the Microsoft's specific PC W-10 download that was delivered as part of their routine updates.

Note, the 530 default OS was Vista, then I 'upgraded' to XP, then to Win-7.

Bev

5.2K Posts

August 15th, 2015 19:00

Don't worry, it will upgrade to Win 10. The drivers everyone worries about are linked to the hardware, not the OS. I have upgraded three units 8 to 10 years old. None of them had any Win 10 drivers unless the drivers were installed by Win 10. The only problems were the video drivers. All three work fine with generic video drivers installed  by Windows. In addition allthree perform better with Win 10 than 8.1.

No Events found!