Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2013 15:00

XPS 2720 750m drivers battlefield 4

I am trying to update the driver for my NVidia 750m to the latest from GeForce.com so that I can play battlefield 4.  This computer has the specs to play the game, but every time I try to open battlefield 4 it closes immediately and says "battlefield 4 has stopped working."  I've read that updating to the latest NVidia drivers has fixed this problem for many people.  I have installed the latest driver from dell.com (312.30) and it has done nothing to help.  When I try to install the truly LATEST drivers from NVidia (331.82) it tells me "This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware," and it will not install.

So my question is, is there a way to install the latest drivers from NVidia as new games come out or are the users of these expensive all in one's with a "gaming" video card stuck with only the very out of date GPU drivers that dell provides on their website?

Thank you,

Chris

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 08:00

Hello Chris,

Have you been able to test the NVIDIA GPU Reader? The GPU Reader is a web based tool that identifies your specific GPU and finds the latest graphics drivers automatically.

NVIDIA GPU Reader

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us

Automatic updates can also be configured through the NVIDIA Control Panel, See the link bellow for full instructions.

NVIDIA Update

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-update.html

Thanks,

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 22nd, 2013 09:00

I would try installing the Directx June 2010 update first. Newer versions of windows
have later and later versions of directx so the DX9, DX10.1, DX11.0 dll's do not exist in Vista/7/8.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

You download the patch and extract into a folder then run DXsetup.exe

8 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 10:00

thank you I had read that in one of your other posts and it was in my list of stuff to try.  I felt like modding the .inf would work so I tried it first.  If it's working fine do you think I should still install this directx update?  Directx diagnostic tool shows that I have directx 11

8 Posts

I wish it would have been as simple as that.

the first thing I tried was letting the NVidia website scan for the best driver.  I downloaded it and it wouldn't work.  I then tried the 4 previous drivers for my card including betas.  I tried uninstalling all video drivers even the intel, doing clean installs, etc.

I then read that even some alienware owners were having this issue also.  I think it was said that it was due to the different hardware ID that the gpu has on the machine or something with the way the GPU is identified being OEM.  I found this solution on how to add a couple of lines of text to the .inf driver install file to make it recognize my driver. 

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377158 

I couldn't find the .inf files that it lists to change.  I figured out the "nvamn.inf" file does the trick.  I had to add

NVIDIA_DEV.0FE4 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M"  under the "strings" section

and

%NVIDIA_DEV.0FE4% = Section103,                  PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FE4      under the section for my OS. 

once I figured out the right .inf file to modify the installation recognized my graphics card and the install was successful.

Now I hope this works on future driver upgrades.  I was successful using this method to get the newest drivers that the NVidia GPU reader found for me. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Many games have  fallback positions to directx 9, 10, 11.0 etc.   WIN8 is up to directx 11.X where X = .1 .2 .3

Installing the Directx patch puts in previous versions of directx as a fallback position.  Machines that have INTEL HD Graphics alongside an ATI or Nvidia GPU have drivers that are very tightly integrated because the only GPU that has direct connection to the bus is the INTEL HD Graphics.

If you don't match the Pairs of INTEL and AMD or Nvidia drivers then you will find that the only gpu still working is the INTEL SLOOW GPU.

The June 2010 patch is one piece in the puzzle. 

8 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 11:00

That would make sense as to why a laptop with NVidia on the bus would use a different driver.  As of now I'm running the latest NVidia driver for the 750m and it is without a doubt working.  I'm able to run at low to medium settings at 1920 x 1080 on battlefield 4 as this setup is supposed to do.  There is no way the intel gpu would get a playable fps on any setting.  So I know my 750m is working.  So far I haven't had a crash since I finally got the driver installed

From what your saying it sounds like in the future an updated NVidia driver could break the functionality if it doesn't play well with the intel driver????

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 22nd, 2013 12:00

INTEL doesn't keep updated and current as fast as NVIDIA or ATI and this leads to many issues.

The Graphics Support Community Forum is a monitored peer-to-peer exchange for the Intel Chipset and Graphics community. Please follow this link to register and participate in the forum.
Forum Link

With Nvidia the Optimus Technology is the culprit and there is no way to shut it off permanently. Gamers aren't interested in saving power.

8 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 13:00

very true.  This machine is odd too since it is a "desktop" with a desktop cpu and mobile gpu.  I'm definitely not worried about saving power since this isn't a laptop. 

Thank you for all the help!!

hopefully this thread will help the next oblivious guy who buys an xps 2720 to play games on.

-Chris Wilson

6 Posts

November 26th, 2013 13:00

I'd like to add that Dell has not advertised that the XPS 2720 uses Nvidia Optimus which makes the Intel GPU the default graphics card. Like what was already stated in the posts above, Nvidia Optimus is a technology by Nvidia designed for power saving for laptops. The XPS 2720 is a desktop  and unfortunately relies on Nvidia Optimus for GPU switching between the intel graphics and the Nvidia GT 750m. The drivers for Nvidia are buggy (even the supplied ones on Dell driver support) with Nvidia Optimus resulting in an inability to set programs to default to the Nvidia GT 750m. This issue leaves XPS 2720 users with a PC  without the use of the Nvidia  GT 750m. I personally have this issue after an upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Dell technical support suggests to go back to Windows 8 from Windows 8.1

For those who need a work around to this problem  I suggest using a program called Nvidia Inspector and edit the Optimus setting for each program to enable. After you edit the Nvidia profiles for each program return to the Nvidia graphics settings and you will be able to change to the integrated  GPU as the box will no longer be greyed out.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/nvidia_inspector_download.html

3 Posts

November 28th, 2013 07:00

I'm on 8.1 and i can't seem to activate my NVIDIA card anywhere. How can I manually set it?  I really don't want to roll back to 8!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 29th, 2013 09:00

There is no Manual setting. There is no Activation of GPU.

The INTEL and NVIDIA drivers are tightly integrated.

Changing one without the other breaks it.The only support from Dell comes with the

OS that was originally installed.

Windows 8.1 is Beta Bing Beta Boom! An Error has Occurred Windowoze must now restart.:emotion-3:

It was thrown out there as a me too me too me too because apple released Mavericks.

6 Posts

November 30th, 2013 13:00

Give Nvidia Inspector a try. Try following the instruction here:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/500704/manual-control-over-optimus/

8 Posts

December 4th, 2013 11:00

Just to update I AM running on windows 8.  I didn't want to update to 8.1 this early on because I know how newer releases are always buggy.  So far this thing is working great as a gaming computer no need to update to 8.1 for me.  Since doing the inf file mod to install the newest nvidia drivers I have had no problems getting battlefield 4, Saints row 4, far cry 3, etc...  to work at good fps and quality.  We'll see about COD Ghosts after Christmas.  I'll try to remember to update on here if modding the inf file works without conflicts on the next nvidia driver update.

1 Message

December 23rd, 2013 02:00

Thank you

8 Posts

December 23rd, 2013 07:00

I got an email asking about the driver signature.  But it didnt show up on the forum so im guessing you figured it out.  I restored my computer and was getting so mad trying to reinstall the driver until I realized I forget to tell my computer to accept unsigned drivers.  It tells how in the forum link I posted

No Events found!