Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

December 28th, 2014 20:00

XPS 2720 - Video input source

Hi All, I am new to this forum. I just recently purchased an XPS 2720, Intel I7, 2 TB, 32GB SSD, pretty much loaded. What interested me was the HDMI input into the XPS 27. In the past I used Windows Media Center on an XPS mini tower with a tv tuner to receive live tv broadcast. Well, I connected my Verizon FIOS Arris IPC1100 media server to the HDMI input port on the XPS and I get all my cable channels via the Set top box when I change the video input on the OSD to HDMI. But I cannot access the desktop unless I change the OSD back to the Computer input. So I have been trolling the web to find out the answer to my question for days to no avail. The question is can I simultaneously watch my live tv broadcast from the HDMI input while working on my desktop. I would think there could be  an application for a picture in picture window where I can specify the HDMI input and voila', I would have a window on my desktop with TV. So can anyone please tell me if this is possible or if not what alternatives are available. Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 29th, 2014 11:00

The input is for peripherals like an X Box. What you are doing is using your display as a tv monitor. You cannot use the computer at the same time if the display is being used as a monitor. Connect the cable connection to the tv tuner antenna connection skipping the set top box.

Verizon has directions on connecting a computer   www.verizon.com/.../computer.htm

2 Posts

December 30th, 2014 11:00

Thank for the clarification Mary. I got the slingbox for a gift, so I will use it to stream my cable tv cahnnels to my desktop. Regards.

No Events found!