Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2011 09:00

XPS 400 Problem

New to Forum. My Sons XPS 400 began giving problems. He asked me to see what I could resolve.  Initially seemed okay, but then began to deteriorate. Further checks resulted in Blue Screen; "Problem Detected - Windows Shut Down to prevent damage to the PC, Beginning dump of Physical Memory". Further efforts to resolve the issue gained no response from the PC as Screen was blank. or dark screen with some text. Did get on screen "recent hardware or software might have caused this. Tried access to remove the 8 Linesof HPprinter software. After tryng to remove the first line, no further response. Tried further efforts to bring the pc back to life with no success. Did check the Memory;  2 strips @ 1GB ea and 2 strips @ 512Mb. Visually they look okay. The internal battery reads 3V. Power supply 6 and 12volts are good. Note that Service Pack 3 not yet installed. The green system board LED is steady on. Note that McAfee is the installed Aantivirus program. I did call McAfee to discuss the problem with them. They offered to send a tech to the house. I declined. Note that for my pc here I recently had a problem ad Norton Symantecquickly resolve the problem by remote access. Can I provide anything further that might clarify further??

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 24th, 2011 10:00

Hi BillH31,

So far, you haven't described anything that would indicate a hardware problem. Just to rule out any hardware issues, go ahead and run the Dell diagnostics. I've got a link to the procedure below. If no problems are shown, then it would appear to be time to reinstall the operating system.

No Events found!