Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2012 15:00

XPS 410

Hi, I just got one of my friends old xps 410's, and unfortunately he completely disassembled it a while back, thinking he might use the parts for something.  Well, now I have every part, but possibly a few of the cables, and I've gotten the computer put together as well as I can.  Unfortunately the power button isn't working, but I don't get any error lights on the front.  My real question is, which cable makes the power button work on the xps 410.  Computers i've used in the past had a 2 pin connector from the power button to the mother board, but this mobo doesn't appear to have a two pin connector except for the temperature monitor.  Does the temp monitor have two functions, or is it another cable that i'm not seeing on the io connector.  Any help is appreciated, thanks.

803 Posts

July 23rd, 2012 17:00

Hi Slimmons,

Welcome to the Community.

The XPS 410 does not have a separate 2 pin connector for Power button LED. Please check this system board image which has Front I/O panel connectors labeled:

The Front I/O panel cables looks like this:

Kindly reply if the above given information is helpful.

49 Posts

July 23rd, 2012 19:00

You may also check on this page for complete guide on how to assemble XPS 410.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

11 Posts

July 24th, 2012 12:00

The main question I had was actually, which cable transmits the power on signal.  My power button isn't working, and I have no idea which wire goes from the power button, to the motherboard.  I see that the power button is integrated onto the I/O panel, but which cable goes from the I/O panel, to the motherboard to give it the original kick start signal?  I only have two three cables that I see should run from the I/O panel, the two pin temp control, the ribbon, and the usb cable.  

11 Posts

July 24th, 2012 12:00

@dell-satya p, so, when I press the power button on the front, the signal to the motherboard that actually jumpstarts the computer, is sent through a ribbon cable?  

803 Posts

July 24th, 2012 18:00

Hi Slimmons,

Thank you for the reply.

The cable image that I posted earlier connects the front I/O panel assembly to the system board.  The power button is fixed to the Front I/O panel assembly and there is no separate cable for the power button. Please check these images for better understanding of the front I/O panel assembly.

Second image shows the pins at the bottom where the Front I/O panel cable is connected.

The ribbon cable that  you are referring to connects the power button and USB ports in the front and this cable has to be connected to the Front I/O panel connector shown in the system board diagram.

This is the Intel website link which has more information about this system board and connectors: 

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15049/eng/DP965LT_ProductGuide03_English.pdf

Kindly reply if the information was helpful.

11 Posts

July 25th, 2012 10:00

Thank you very much for the response, that is exactly what I needed to know.  I just wasn't aware that the signal needed to power on could be transferred by a ribbon cable, but if that diagram is correct, I should be able to do more troubleshooting on the computer.  Now I have to figure out why when I had the ribbon cable connected, the computer didn't power on.  Thanks!

803 Posts

July 25th, 2012 14:00

Hi Slimmons,

Im glad to know the information I gave was helpful. Thanks for confirming.

1 Message

June 23rd, 2015 08:00

SLIMMONS did you ever find out what the problem with the ribbon was? If so, please tell me as I am having the same problem with my Dell XPS410. The only sign of life that I can see is the standby light on the mother board (Located beneath the GE Force graphics card). 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 25th, 2015 17:00

Shorted front usb ports can have this effect.  The fix is to replace the front panel board which is easy.  The +5VSB flea LED on the motherboard DOES NOT Indicate that the power supply is good.  Only that 20W of standby power is available. 

11 Posts

March 30th, 2017 09:00

Sorry this is incredibly late, but I was never able to resolve this issue.  I ended up giving up, as it was taking an incredible amount of time to fix, for what would have been very little reward for me.

No Events found!