Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2011 05:00

XPS 420 Screen Became Blank Without Showing BIOS

When I was playing game, the screen became blank (black screen), with sound from my speaker hang (same sound repeatedly). Thus, I were forced to perform an improper shutdown. After a restart, my computer performed just fine.

The next day, when I was just playing music in my computer, the screen again became blank (black screen), with sound from my speaker hang (same sound repeatedly). Once again, I were forced to perform an improper shutdown. This time, when I switched on the computer, the screen remained blank without showing BIOS. It could be heard that the fans were running slightly louder.

Thus, I tried to remove and disconnect the hard disk and tried to switch on it again. The screen remained blank. Guys, could you please advise me what is the cause of the computer malfunction and how I should fix it? I like this computer very much and it hurts me seeing it being malfunctioned. :(   

My computer specification is as follow:

Dell XPS420 Desktop / BIOS A07

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600  @ 2.40GHz

8 GB (4 x 2 GB) Kingston DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM Memory

768 MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX

1 TB 7200 RPM Samsung SpinPoint F3 hard disk

425 W Power Supply Unit

Thank you for the advice given.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 28th, 2011 07:00

HERE

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

is the troubleshooting section of the manual.  Are you getting any diagnostic beeps when you power on?  What is the status of the power light on the front panel?  Those are listed in the troubleshooting section and may help you.

One suggestion, with the PC powered off, reseat the memory modules and video card, to see if that helps.  If you can get it to power on and run the POST, press F12 and run the hardware diagnostics to see if anything shows up.

14.4K Posts

April 28th, 2011 15:00

Looking at your specs, your video card jumps out. THE 8800 is a rather old card and i would suggest that it is failing. Try running the Dell diagnostics on it. Your symptoms do tend to favor a failing video card.

April 29th, 2011 02:00

Thank you so much for your replies, guys. I think that the problem is not due to my Dell SE198WFP 19" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor, originally bundled with my XPS 420 purchase. It is because I managed to access the monitor setting, by pressing the monitor buttons.

1. Yes, there is something funny regarding the status of the power light on the front panel. For about 8 attempts of every 10 boot up of my XPS 420, none of the lights lights up. For the remaining 2 attempts, it shows Light 1, 2 and 3 (Another failure has occurred.) light up. Occasionally, it shows Light 2 and 3 light up (A possible floppy drive or hard drive failure has occurred.). The light sequences makes not much sence to me. If my hard disk was supposed to faulty, removing hard disk would allow the computer to boot into BIOS at the every least. No matter what, I still cannot access BIOS.

2. Diagnostic beeps? There is not any. Once I switched on the computer, the computer will load, without any sound from the speaker. The screen remained blank as always. Once in a while, the XPS Miniview displayed "No Display Device Found", before loading into Windows SideShow. Again, this display is not consistent enough to be displayed for every reboot.  

3. Running the Dell diagnostics is definitely not an option, as BIOS has to be loaded before we can select the Dell diagnostics. Since I cannot even see BIOS at all, there is no chance of me using Dell diagnostics.

4. Could the problem be caused by insufficient power supply from PSU, or faulty PSU? Note that I have never overclocked any component in the computer.

5. I too agree with you guys that the video card is faulty and I cannot repair it. I just take the easy way of buying a video card to replace it. However, I afraid that after spending huge amount of the money buying the card and installing it, the problem still cannot be solved. Then, the money would be wasted for no reason. That is why I have to be really sure that video card is the culprit, before proceeding to buy the replacement. IN other words, I should not jump into any hasty conclusion.

I hope that you all can understand my predicament. Is there any other way to fully confirm the video card as the culprit?

Thank you for your information. My XPS 420 has always been the pride of my life. I really love to see it running fine once again.

14.4K Posts

April 29th, 2011 13:00

short of trying the card in another system there is not. What you can try is finding a retailer with a good return policy. Also you can just pick a real cheap card and see if the video comes  on

14.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2014 05:00

This thread is now locked due to age. Please start a new thread for any issues.

1 Message

September 2nd, 2014 05:00

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my old 420 that I use as a home server. What was the problem finally? Did you solved the matter?

No Events found!