Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2008 12:00

XPS 420 - Thermal/Heat Question

Hello everyone,

I recently bought an XPS 420 and I am very happy with it (8800GT video card - Q6600 cpu (quadcore). 

Last night after about 5 hours of gaming with Oblivion and BF2, I touch the middle back of the case right above the video card and it was hot to the touch.  The part that was hot on the outside back of the case almost looks like a heat sink or something that holds a big housing unit in the middle of the inside of the case...I think that is for the cpu. 

Anyhow, is this normal after a long gaming session?  Should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Gimpycow

Message Edited by Gimpycow on 03-04-2008 09:34 AM

935 Posts

March 4th, 2008 13:00

Not sure if that's normal. I haven't taken the side panel off my 410 to touch the heatsink housing. I've always used Core Temp to watch and log temperatures of my Q6600. You can set the utility to log your temps so you can review the log after putting a load on to see what your temps were before and then after.

37 Posts

March 4th, 2008 16:00

Actually, I did not have to take the side panel off to touch it.  This is a mounting/heatsick metal thing which sticks out the back of the case right above the video card.  That was on the hotside to the touch. 

Thanks for the utility.  I like the idea of a "small footprint"...   :)

60 Posts

March 4th, 2008 21:00

Mine does the same thing, the 8800GT gets very hot. Very poor case cooling.

I would be interested to know what temperatures your video card gets to after 5 hours of gaming. Mine gets to 74C just watching HD TV for 20 minutes.

There are quite a few posts here about this topic with a few partial solutions (slot coolers)

Message Edited by SamR1 on 03-04-2008 09:49 PM
No Events found!